See also my botwinka: whole beetroot soup two ways recipe.
For the soup:
- 2lt water
- 2 medium fresh beetroots
- 225g can of sliced beetroot
- 2 medium carrots, chopped roughly
- 2 parsnips, chopped roughly
- 2 celery sticks, chopped roughly
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 sprigs of flat leaf parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole cilantro peppercorns // or whole black peppercorns
- salt and pepper to taste
- (200g chicken wings if you prefer a richer stock – not suitable for vegans or vegetarians)
- 1tbsp or fresh cream per bowl //or rice or soy milk
- handful of tortellini
Wash the beetroot under cold running water then chop off the leaves and tips at the bulb. Using disposable gloves peel the skin off the beetroot and discard. Chop up into 2cm cubes.
Place prepared vegetables into the stockpot, along with the canned beetroot slices and juice, parsley sprigs, bay leaf and cilantro. If using them, rinse chicken wings under cold water and place in the stockpot as well. Cover with water and bring to the boil. Simmer gently for about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
Prepare tortellini according to packet or recipe instructions and serve in the soup with a generous helping of fresh cream, rice or soy milk.