You can also add some curry powder, coriander leaves and coconut cream for a thai version of this hearty winter warmer.
For the soup:
- 4 cups water
- 4 sprigs spring onions, chopped finely
- 300g Japanese pumpkin, peeled
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 1 potato, peeled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 slices of crusty, lightly grilled bread of your choice to serve
For Thai version:
- 1 small can coconut cream
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves to serve
Roughly dice pumpkin, carrot and potato. Heat olive oil in a medium stockpot, add spring onions and fry off until translucent. Add pumpkin, potato and carrot, cover with water and bring to the boil. Add crushed garlic cloves, salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until carrots are tender.
If you are making the Thai version, add curry powder and coconut cream now.
Blend soup with a hand blender and serve with crusty toasted bread cut into croutons or a handful of coriander leaves.