Pin on Pinterest113 Share on Facebook0 Tweet about this on Twitter0 Google+ Email to someone

As a celebration of passion for life, today’s jelly is filled with Champagne and set in the Royal Selangor jelly mould, inspired by mountains to remind us to challenge ourselves to overcome our fears.

As hard as it seems sometimes and as dark as it can get, we must all stay strong, we must fight for a cure, we must remain hopeful and we must never, ever give up. Life is just too precious and beautiful.

~Mowie Kay, 10 September 2009.

I think the above sums up beautifully what the Royal Selangor Get Your Jelly On challenge is about; raising awareness of the terrible disease and helping those affected with funding and support they need to carry on, to remain hopeful and never, ever give up.

If you are not by now convinced of the beauty and versatility of uses for the Nick Munro designed Royal Selangor jelly mould, perhaps the fact that proceeds from the sale of this terrific mould go to support women fighting for their lives against breast cancer, might help convince you to purchase one.

Inspired by Mowie Kay’s Champagne lemon jelly and mango mousse verrine, which in turn is a tribute to both her mother who passed away from cancer and Barbara of Winos and Foodies, who herself is a cancer survivor, I present you with the Champagne and citrus jelly with passionfruit cream. It is a humble interpretation of Mowie’s dessert but it highlights the fact we should always look on the bright side of life and celebrate little moments, pause and cherish them and those around us who mean the most.

My Mother instilled in me the qualities I treasure most to this day – to be the best I can be, to appreciate the beauty in life, to always see the positive side of things and in people, to be passionate, to love and allow myself to be loved, and to inspire greatness. But most importantly to celebrate life.

~Mowie Kay, 10 September 2009.

Incidentally, the first bottle of Moet I bought for this bubbly dessert was broken and empty – such an insignificant challenge compared to the one people diagnosed with cancer are facing everyday. It didn’t stop me from pressing on; I got a fresh one and carried on. And nothing should stop us from supporting great causes that help others carry on too.

Thank you for stopping by.

Makes 2

Champagne and citrus jelly with passionfruit cream

As a celebration of passion for life, the jelly is filled with Champagne and set in the Royal Selangor jelly mould, inspired by mountains to remind us to challenge ourselves to overcome our fears.

For the jelly:

• 1 packet of lemon jelly (makes 500ml)
  • 250ml boiling water
  • a small bottle of Champagne (200ml)
  • 4 -5 citrus wedges (I used mandarin and grapefruit)
  • 1 tbp gelatin
  • (edible gold leaf)

For the passionfruit cream:

• 1/4 cup thickened cream
  • pulp of 1/2 passionfruit

To make the jelly: dissolve lemon jelly crystals and extra gelatin in 250ml boiling water. Add Champagne and mix. Allow bubbles to subsede and cool down to room temperature. Pour jelly into your moulds and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to begin setting.

Cut citrus wedges into small pieces, place in a sieve and allow excess juice to drain. Once the jelly is starting to gel, add citrus pieces, pushing gently around the jelly for an even effect.

To make the passionfruit cream: prepare this just before serving. Beat cream until soft peaks form. Add passionfruit pulp and mix through gently.

To serve: remove jelly from the mould and adorn with some gold leaf specks. Spoon a little passionfruit cream on the side. Serve immediately.

Comments:

39 Responses to {Day 26} Champagne and citrus jelly with passionfruit cream | a tribute to a tribute

1. Sarah says:

This is the most stunning jelly in the entrire competition!!! The flavours and the story… Inspirational!

2. sara says:

What a gorgeous jelly! Super luxurious! :)

3. This look absolutely delightful and thanks for introducing Mowie Kay’s blog. I think the advice from her mother is one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard a mother give her child.

I love the concept of this jelly being champagne and accompanied by a passionfruit cream. Did you get the gold leaf from Essential Ingredients yesterday? I’ve always wondered where to buy that stuff :)

4. Mel says:

What a beautiful jelly. It’s brightness stands out from the dark of the surroundings, your photography has captured the theme beautifully.

5. Tammy says:

Martyna, you have done it again. You have transformed a seemingly simple lemon jelly into a work of art. Gorgeous!

6. Great tribute/post. I didn’t quite understand how the bottle was broken and empty. Was it like that when purchased, or did someone drink it at home!

• Thank you. Re bottle, when I opened the box there was mould all around it but I thought it might have been from the moisture in fridge at the shop. When I took the bottle out it was empty – it must have burst in transit from France, the whole bottom was blown!

7. barbara says:

Thank you for the shout out Martyna. When I read the first quote from Mowie I thought I recognised it from Taste of Yellow. I adore the Nick Munro jelly mold and wish I could afford to buy one.

This is a beautiful post and a gorgeous dessert.

8. Kate says:

I think your post sums up the aim of this challenge really well. Love the photos, the story and the jelly looks amazing. Most gorgeous I’ve ever seen a simple jelly to be.

9. terri says:

beautiful post! love the colors n everything:)

10. Veronica Greve says:

Such a gorgeous jelly and touching story.

11. Stephanie says:

OMG! Mowie’s dessert looks beautiful, but for a simpler version you’ve made yours look like a piece of art. Photos are amazing too. Good luck in the challenge! I vote for you!

12. Timothy R says:

See the last photo? I just want to reach in and eat that spoonful!

13. It’s a beautiful celebration jelly!

14. Chanel says:

Such a touching post, and an absolutely stunning jelly you’ve created. Amazing :)

15. Sharni says:

That passion fruit cream looks like mini pavlovas! So pretty! And love the rustic feel of the photos, so very French provençal.

16. Nic says:

Well done Martyna! I’m definitely going to try this. Lemon and cream lovely combination.

17. A wonderful tribute and reminder for all of us who have had dear family, friends and significant others who have suffered through this disease. Your tender words are as gentle and elegant as the champagne and citrus jelly with passionfruit cream.

18. Oooh what a decadent jelly, and I love the touch of gold leaf!!!

Wow are those gold flakes, I never had used that for cooking. This is simply stunning!

20. I seriously have to stop drooling! This looks so fruity fresh and creamy! You are truly an inspiration!

21. JasmyneTea says:

I LOVE Mowie Kay’s blog! And I find this jelly a wonderful tribute. Hats off!

22. Sissi says:

It looks absolutely luscious, artistic and so festive! Thank you for introducing Mowie Kay’s and Barbara’s blogs.

23. Ben says:

Absolutely love this jelly. I can imagine it being perfect for NYE celebrations with the champagne and all.

24. Mez says:

You made me tear up a little.

Whenever I’ve seen Champagne used in a recipe I’ve thought… isn’t that a waste?! But reading this has made me change my mind. The anniversary of my mother’s death (from breast CA) is fast creeping up upon me… I keep telling myself I won’t be a blubbering mess like I was last year and I don’t think I will be. Just in case I am though, maybe I should make THIS jelly and enjoy it and remember HER bubbly, vibrant spirit instead of crying my guts out.

Thank you lady.

xox

25. You put gold flakes!!!! Ohhhhhhh not only this looks delicious, I love how it looks – simple beauty!

26. Ming says:

The colors are very pleasing to the eyes.

27. TC says:

gold leaf? fancy!

28. valens87 says:

wow, it’s golden and so rich… but if I haven’t champagne could I replace it with spumante?

29. Beautiful! And most apt for the reason behind your month of conical foods.

30. Ally says:

Beautiful. The gold leaf adds such a nice touch (and I love passionfruit).

31. Sharn says:

OK, I’m stealing this one for Christmas this year!! 😀 There is nothing about this I don’t love!!

1. Pingback: Get Your Jelly On challenge, a retrospect and giveaway winners announced « Wholesome Cook