Image default
Breakfast Dinner Italian Kids' meals Lunch Polish Quick and easy Salad Spring Summer Uncategorized Vegetarian

Herbed cottage cheese caprese-style salad

Eventhough the Royal Selangor challenge is officially over, I continue to think along the lines of “could I make this dish in a cone”? I’m sure it would work in this case…

Oh we are in China by the way, for a wedding, but while I’m gone I thought I’d share a couple of my favourite recipes with you. Upon my return I will attempt to cook some delicious Chinese dishes inspired by out trip.

This mouthwatering spring salad has to be one of my all-time favourites, because it tastes so refreshing and is very quick to make. Plus it’s a great all rounder, it makes a great breakfast, lunch or even light dinner meal.

While traditionally, the Caprese salad is served with buffalo mozzarella, I like to use creamed cottage cheese instead. Smeared on some freshly baked, still warm sourdough it makes for a great meal on warmer days. The cheese has got a great texture and a slightly salty flavour, and it’s creamy enough to make for a nice moist ‘dressing’ on the tomato salad.

Serves 2

Herbed cottage cheese caprese-style salad

Since all of the veges and herbs used in this recipe are coming into season, you should be able to get the best flavours on a budget.

For the herbed cottage cheese:

• 250g creamed cottage cheese
  • 2 tbsp chives, chopped
  • 2 tbsp basil, chopped

• 2 medium tomatoes, cut into 16 thin wedges
  • 16 slices of cucumber
  • 8 basil leaves to garnish
  • olive oil
  • freshly ground black pepper

To make the herbed cottage cheese: add chives and basil to the cottage cheese and mix until well combined. Scoop the mixture into the middle of the plate.

To serve: arrange tomato wedges and cucumber slices around the edge of a large dinner plate, alternating. Arrange basil leaves around the plate on top of the ‘salad’. Drizzle with some olive oil and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.

{5 ingredient} Pork in a ginger and shallot broth

Vitenamese Salad Rolls – Bánh Mì

Kids meal: real macaroni & cheese, minute steaks, veggies

Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide November 2, 2011 at 12:54 pm

I knew the cone would have a lasting impact. This looks fabulous.

Joanne November 2, 2011 at 1:41 pm

HAHAHAHA, that’s hysterical that you’re still in that mindset “can I make it in a cone?” I must say, your creativity is super impressive!

saffronandhoney November 2, 2011 at 3:16 pm

This looks like something I would love! And fantastic presentation too.

john@heneedsfood November 2, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Caprese is one of my all-time favourite salads. I like your take on it here!

emilyadamiani November 2, 2011 at 7:42 pm

This looks delicious–and easy to make! I’ve never looked into adding spices to cottage cheese. I can’t wait to try this!

Sissi November 2, 2011 at 10:22 pm

It looks like a delicious Polish-Italian fusion salad! I am wondering what basil tastes like with cottage cheese (chives have been tested of course hundreds of times).
Have fun in China!

Juan November 3, 2011 at 2:46 am

Fantastic presentation, Its true ¡¡¡ Is like my favorite salad

sportsglutton November 3, 2011 at 7:42 am

Sounds light and delicious. Safe and enjoyable travels!

sara (Belly Rumbles) November 4, 2011 at 12:09 am

That’s so funny, but totally understandable. i am assuming you are seeing cone shaped possibilities everywhere. Enjoy your travels.

Yasmeen @ Wandering Spice November 4, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Ooh! Looks great, Martyna – I actually grew to like cottage cheese in college, and yet haven’t eaten it so often recently. Your beautiful presentation has reignited my interest!

The Feed November 9, 2011 at 9:13 am

Great post! Got to you via foodgawker. Check out The Feed – We are a new food content platform to submit your work – submit a post to generate more traffic and awareness to your site.

Nami | Just One Cookbook November 17, 2011 at 6:28 am

Very interesting that you used creamed cottage cheese and I’d love to try it. I love the presentation of this salad – so pretty!

My Favourite 10 Quick & Easy Christmas Recipes December 19, 2013 at 9:03 pm