Passionfruit, blueberry and yoghurt muffins

Pin on Pinterest51 Share on Facebook14 Tweet about this on Twitter4 Google+ Email to someone

I thoroughly enjoy an occasional muffin, and who doesn’t? But when I think of grabbing a coffee shop bought one on the go, I quickly change my mind: grease, refined sugar and flour and probably a bunch of additives. No, thanks; I prefer to whip up a batch of these gorgeous wholemeal yoghurt muffins instead.

For a while now, I’ve been wanting to make a yoghurt cake of some sort and when I was contacted by Chobani, a newcomer to the Aussie Greek yoghurt market, to sample some of their low and no fat varieties I thought it the opportunity I’ve been waiting for.

For the time being Chobani is only available at Woolworths (Safeway), but it’s worth the trip. The yoghurts are natural with no preservatives and artificial sweeteners. They are strained for extra thickness without added gelatin or other thickeners and come in a variety of fruit flavours as well as plain vanilla. They are also relatively low in sugar, containing around 10g per 100, which makes me happy because they have become my little kitchen assistant’s favourite yoghurts, and I have to say I like them too! I can’t wait for the Blood Orange flavour to be released here in Australia *hint hint*

Makes 12

Passionfruit, blueberry and Chobani yoghurt muffins

You can use plain white flour if you wish, but wholemeal flour makes the muffins more wholesome. I used 2 small containers (340g in total) of Chobani Greek Yoghurt in passionfruit and blueberry, with the latter being fat free. And considering I recommend use of a good nut or olive oil as the fat in the recipe, you don’t have to worry about trans fats when you snack on these. Use cupcake or muffin wrappers to avoid extra fat in greasing the tins.

For the muffins (dry ingredients):

• 1.5 cups wholemeal (wholewheat) flour
  • 1 teaspoon bicarb (baking) soda
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 cup sugar

For the muffins (wet ingredients):

• 1 (170g) Chobani passionfruit yoghurt
  • 1 (170g) Chobani blueberry yoghurt
  • 1/2 cup light olive // or peanut oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries
  • 1 passionfruit, pulp only

Preheat oven to 190C (170C fan forced, 375F, gas mark 5). Line your muffin tray with muffin wrappers.

To make the muffins: combine all dry ingredients in a bowl. In another, larger bowl, whisk together the yoghurt, oil and egg.

Add dry ingredients to the yoghurt mixture and mix together with a wooden spoon but no longer than 30 seconds. Add blueberries and passtionfruit and stir through 3 times to mix them in.

To bake: spoon batter into a 12-hole wrapper-lined muffin tray. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the muffins have a nice golden brown crust. Turn out onto a wire rack and allow to cool before serving.

To serve: serve warm muffins as a morning or afternoon tea snack, cold or toasted lightly in a sandwich press, or zapped in a microwave for 20 seconds.

To store: once cooled, keep in an airtight container in the pantry or fridge for up to 2 days, or freeze for enjoyment later.

Comments:

28 Responses to Passionfruit, blueberry and yoghurt muffins

1. These are muffins after my heart! Passionfruit and muffin in one single location….even better!

Homemade muffins are so much better – and I really thing using the yoghurt adds a depth of flavor that is lovely. These looks very tasty, Martyna!

3. Joanne says:

I’m just dying to get my hands on some of that Chobani passionfruit yogurt….I’ve checked all the stores and none have it yet. These look great!

4. bellacorea says:

They look so great! I always have some troubles when I baked muffins at home with texture or moisture.. I’ve not been successful on that.. Let me try once more! Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures and recipe!

5. They sound healthy, but every so satisfying, yum!

6. Assia says:

Delicious looking muffins! And what a great use of yoghurt! Thank you for sharing!

7. Such a great idea to combine yoghurts – double the amount of yum!

8. Where did I hear…I heard great things about Chobani but haven’t tried that yet. Your blueberry & yogurt muffins look so good, especially the top where little burnt… I’m totally all over it. I have something about little burnt texture on pies, cakes, muffins (that’s why I like muffins over cupcakes)…. must pin this before I forget!

9. I also enjoy the occasional muffin – so much more pleasing than cupcakes :D. These muffins look especially good, I simply adore their colour :)

10. How delightful, and your pictures are beautiful!

11. Yogurt and other fermented milk products do give great texture and flavour, I’ve never baked with the thick Greek yogurt though. I guess it makes it much more creamy and moist.

12. Maureen says:

I’ve looked and looked for Chobani up here but haven’t found it yet. I’ll use my home made til they get here because I can’t wait to make these muffins. I have all the ingredients and an eager stomach!

13. These muffins look so yummy and healthy. I have not seen or tried Chobani yogurt before. With passionfruit, that sound lovely. I will keep my eyes open for it so I can give these muffins a try.

14. I love baking my own muffins, I too use yogurt as a fat replacement. Like how you used a flavored yogurt, creative!

15. I love the texture whole wheat flour gives muffins. These look divine.

16. Love the flavors you used in these muffins, as well as the yogurt. Beautiful recipe! Thanks for sharing.

17. These sound tasty! I am sure they would be a winner in the lunchbox…. Hope you are well?

18. Norma Chang says:

These sounds so exotic, I may have to substitute another fruit for the passion fruits as they may not be available where I am.

19. Mez says:

Hey! This is a really cool recipe, much better than the sugary one I posted the other day. I’m going to give these a go!!!

xox

I would love to have this with my cup of long black!

21. Sissi says:

I never buy muffins because apart from what you say they are always too sweet for me… These fruit muffins look particularly healthy and delicious. Using two different fruit yogurts and fresh fruits is a very original idea!

22. Miss Piggy says:

I’m trying to find a quick & simple muffin recipe and this looks great. Is it just white sugar that you use, or is brown sugar OK too? I imagine the yoghurt gives a slightly sour flavour – YUMMO!

23. Jane says:

Awesome recipe, They look so yummy. Thanks for sharing!

Here is another nice recipe which kids will enjoy making.

Jane