Image default
Asian inspired Complete meals Entertaining Family meals Kids' meals Lunch Meat Quick and easy Recipes

Bánh Mì (Vietnamese sub sandwich)

Not all sandwiches were created equal. When I tried my first Bánh Mì from a little hole-in-the-wall vendor, Phuong, at Hunter Connection, I was instantly hooked. Every week for about a year I kept going back just before the official lunch hour rush to beat the crowds and get my $4.50 made-to-order Bánh Mì fix. Oh what joy!

So what’s the big deal, you might be thinking, doesn’t Subway do that already – you pick your fillings, toppings and sauce and they stuff them into a footlong?

Well, yes, they do but their rolls are not as deliciously light and crusty, they don’t spread pâté on the roll, and their fillings do not include fresh and actually flavourful meat selections, such as my favourite pork cold cuts, sweet grilled pork meat balls or succulent barbecue chicken. They don’t drizzle the lot with soy sauce and sprinkle over with chilli. No, they don’t – it’s an entirely different roll game. The other thing that makes the Bánh Mì so special are fresh sprigs of coriander (cilantro) that are artfully placed in amongst the salad topping.

Eventhough I stopped working in the city a while back, when we lived closer, I would wander in at least once a week to check the mailbox located above the said food court and get myself a bbq chicken or pork roll with extra coriander and chilli and read through the week’s mail, life’s simple pleasures. I still like to have my “fix” at least once a week, but now that we live futrher away, I make my own Bánh Mì at home. It’s super easy and super tasty as well.

When making the rolls at home, stick with the salad toppings suggested, but try to experiment with your meat selection: I like a western version of ham and spicy salami, as well as the more traditional barbecue chicken or even leftover roast meat, such as the thinly sliced crispy roast pork belly I had left over the other day. In terms of the bread, I’m all for homemade, but they are much cheaper to buy. Aim for the shorter, 6 inch rolls.

Makes 1

Bánh Mì

You can buy Vietnamese bread rolls from most Asian-run bakeries and even supermarkets. Chilli is optional, but I like heat and sometimes I use Worcestershire sauce instead of soy for extra kick. Easy meat options could include cold cuts, barbecue chicken and shredded roast leftovers.

For the Bánh Mì basics:

• 1 Viet 6in bread roll
  • 1 tbsp chicken pâté
  • 1 tbsp mayonnaise
  • 4 slices of cucumber
  • 2 slices of tomato
  • 1/8 cup grated carrot
  • 1 tbsp sliced red onion
  • 1 sprig of spring onion
  • 2 sprigs fresh coriander

For the meaty Bánh Mì stuffing (choose, or mix and match):

• 3 slices salami + 3 slices smoked ham
  • 1/4 cup shredded barbecue chicken // or leftover roast

• 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • (1 tsp chopped red long chilli)

To make a Bánh Mì sub sandwich: cut the bread roll in half longways, but leave the halves joined at the long edge. Spread pâté on one half, mayo on the other. Arrange slices of cucumber and tomato, layer with your choice of meat, add spring onion, carrot and onion. Top with coriander.

To serve: sprinkle with chilli, drizzle with soy sauce and serve.

Father’s Day goodies: milk and white chocolate Rocky Road with snakes

22+ Quick Meals with Mince

{Day 6} Laksa lemak from scratch, with prawns and tofu

lafamiliadominguez March 16, 2012 at 12:43 pm

These rolls remind me of the mexican rolls I ate as a kid called bolillos.

chris March 16, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Vietnamese food is so bomb! Love the closeups and the idea. Now if I can only figure out how to make the bread gluten free…

Wholesome Cook March 16, 2012 at 1:15 pm

In Australia there is a brand of allergen free bread mixes by Well & Good – they do a pretty good gluten free baguette mix. You should try looking for a similar product because THESE are totally worth it!

Michelle March 16, 2012 at 1:06 pm

If there’s a better sandwich in the world than a Bánh Mì, I don’t know what it is. And your photos definitely do it justice!

Yasmeen @ Wandering Spice March 16, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Ooh, how divine! Quite possibly the best street sandwich in the world. Your version pops with color and texture.

filingawaycupcakes March 16, 2012 at 5:40 pm

I love these! I have never made one myself, but yours look professional!

Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide March 16, 2012 at 11:01 pm

That cilantro alone is making me drool. Looks awesome.

Bam's Kitchen March 17, 2012 at 1:47 am

I am so adding this recipe to a our family recipes. Great Quick night easy dinner with a salad or fruit.

Courtney March 17, 2012 at 6:23 am

Sounds delicious – and I love the note of cilantro!

Purely.. Kay March 21, 2012 at 6:12 am

This is the perfect sandwich for me to make anytime.. but I can totally see me making this for lunch next week :). Thanks for the recipe

Nami | Just One Cookbook March 21, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Oh man! This is my college lunch sometimes.. Back then it was like $1.50. Now it costs like $3-5! I miss those days. I ate at least 2-3 times a week maybe. It was a small Vietnamese sandwich shop in China Town… now I live far that I can’t find this kind of sandwich shop. They make fresh french bread and it is so good too… Your sandwich looks perfect – just like how I want to eat it…

Bánh Mì (Vietnamese sub sandwich) | The Asian Food Gazette. | Scoop.it March 21, 2012 at 8:25 pm

[…] background-position: 50% 0px; background-color:#222222; background-repeat : no-repeat; } wholesomecook.wordpress.com – Today, 4:25 […]

Bánh Mì (Vietnamese sub sandwich) « asianfoodeconomics March 23, 2012 at 1:55 am

[…] Via wholesomecook.wordpress.com Share this:SharePinterestTumblrStumbleUponRedditLinkedInDiggFacebookTwitterLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. […]

Bánh Mì (Vietnamese sub sandwich) | The Asian Food Gazette. | Scoop.it March 23, 2012 at 1:55 am

[…] background-position: 50% 0px; background-color:#222222; background-repeat : no-repeat; } wholesomecook.wordpress.com – Today, 9:54 […]

7 Quick Barbecue (Rotisserie) Chicken Recipe Ideas for Everyday Meals « Wholesome Cook June 25, 2012 at 12:30 pm

[…] Defrosted barbecue chicken breast goes oh so well in a grilled chicken and avocado toastie, and is a great filling for lunch sandwiches. My favourite is a Waldorf-inspired filling but when I’m out of turkey, I use chicken instead with the addition of walnuts, celery and mayo. Or a Vietnamese home-made Bahn Mi. […]

Giulio February 9, 2013 at 7:44 pm

I had this for dinner yesterday and it was scrumptious.

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook February 10, 2013 at 6:21 am

It’s my favourite type of sandwich! 🙂 Glad you liked it too.

22 Healthy Sandwich and Wrap Filling Ideas | Wholesome Cook March 24, 2014 at 8:56 pm

[…] – Ham and Salami Banh Mi: slices of ham, salami and traditional banh mi veggies and herbs served in a crusty baguette – recipe here.  […]