Curried egg and prawn cocktails

Pin on Pinterest193 Share on Facebook0 Tweet about this on Twitter0 Google+ Email to someone

Did you know it’s bascally impossible to get white-shelled eggs in Australia? Yep, the types of hens bred on the Antipodes only produce eggs in all shades of beige. Strange, I know, considering how much Aussies love craft and a bit of DIY projects, especially when they are holiday related.

As mentioned on Monday, it’s Easter egg decorating time,  and considering last year we spent a gazillion hours at the local supermarket picking through ALL of the egg boxes to get a dozen light beige ones, this year I went with a slightly different presentation of my Easter-inspired egg dish.

I was going to serve these in my pastel coloured egg cups, but then I remembered the teeny weeny cup and saucer set I picked up for the little girl from IKEA and don’t they just look the part?

The recipe is simple and makes for a great starter, or a centrepiece at your Easter celebrations. The traditional curried egg is spiced with some tabasco and dotted with chopped coriander, a perfect accompaniament to the prawns.

Makes 4

Curried egg and prawn cocktails

If you are not a big fan of coriander, swap it out for some dill. Tabasco sauce can also be substituted by regular tomato sauce or ketchup if spicy is not your thing. Use cooked peeled prawns for ease of preparation – all the hard work has been done for you.

{Printable recipe}

For the curried eggs and prawn cocktails:

• 4 chicken eggs, hard boiled
  • 1 tsp curry powder
  • 1 tbsp mayo
  • 1 tbsp Tabasco // or tomato sauce
  • 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander // or dill
  • 4 large cooked prawns with tails on
  • a few sprigs of snow pea sprouts

To prepare the eggs: using a sharp knife, cut off  the top quarter of the egg with shell. Scoop out the egg into a bowl and mash with a fork. Add mayo, curry powder, sauce and chopped herbs. Mix well.

To serve: spoon egg mixture back into the shells and wedge in a prawn. Decorate with some trimmed snow pea sprouts.

Comments:

20 Responses to Curried egg and prawn cocktails

1. I wouldn’t change a thing, love the entire combination, the presentation and your photos.. those little wee cups are adorable and perfect!! xo Smidge

2. justinefourjs says:

The dish is so cute and perfect for Easter 🙂
    You know I heard that the eggs are brown because consumers think that they are ‘healthier’ than white eggs so no one bought the white ones. I’m looking to buy some white egg laying hens or even the ones that lay blue eggs !

I think that goes true as well in New Zealand, I havent seen a white egg here

4. It is interesting as you use to be able to get white shelled eggs. Funny how over time things change, probably more to consumer demand than the type of hens. Well what I mean is they bread a particular hen for consumer demand.

On another note, awesome Easter dish 🙂

5. In my last carton of eggs there was one lone white egg amongst all the brown ones. Strangely eerie!

6. chefconnie says:

Wow. I am making these for my brunch this weekend. So pretty and delicious.

7. Michelle says:

That is so funny about the only-brown eggs in Australia. Come to our house! We have blue, white, cream, pink, brown and lots of in-between. Brown or not, yours are beautiful here!

8. Great recipe and great photo’s!

9. Rose says:

These are the cutest things ever and look delicious.

10. m&m says:

Love the use of espresso cups!

11. Sissi says:

Martyna, it looks like a perfect Easter dish with an Indian twist. I love the tiny cups idea. It looks much better than the boring traditional cups.

12. Mad Dog says:

A lot of ducks lay white eggs and they’d be equally good in your recipe 😉

13. Am'broisie says:

Inspiring! I just want to say that you can’t find a white egg in france either. They’re all light brown. First time I saw white eggs, in the USA, I thought “oh my gosh, that must be low-cost eggs…” 😉 It took me time to get used to the white!

14. Jennifer says:

this looks delicious! can’t wait to try it with the left over Easter eggs 🙂

1. Pingback: Aussie Bacon Egg Sausage Burgers | Eating Right For Your Body

2. Pingback: Green Eggs and Prawns | Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide

3. Pingback: Top Five Delicious Easter Food Ideas | Starter and Meat Recipes from Princess

4. Pingback: 35 Amazing Easter Appetizers - The Best of Life® Magazine