Should a buttery-tasting cereal cookie be good enough to have for breakfast? Normally, I’d doubt it. But these wholesome cookies are different.
Every term, on the last day of school I go shopping for a special cereal for the kids to enjoy during school holidays. I still read labels, and check that there’s no junk added to what’s supposed to be the most important meal of the day. The new 4 grain Cheerios have been a breakfast of choice lately, but on my last visit, this one particular cardboard-brown box caught mu eye… Be Natural: 5 grain flakes with Cashew, Almond, Hazelnut & Coconut. Oh my gosh, have I been living under a rock – this has everything I adore and more! Yes, it also contains crunchy clusters made from linseed, pepita and amaranth. And it has no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives.
Ok, it is owned by Kellogg’s, known for the many sugary alternatives, but at least they are trying. And pretty good at that; my quest to find the perfect breakfast cereal has just been completed. As I was strolling to the checkouts, with a box under each arm, I began to think of how I could impart some of that enthusiasm for some of the grains and seeds onto the kids… Cookies!!!
Since most of the hard work of combining some of the best wholesome ingredients has already been done for me, the rest was a breeze and we all had fun making and eating them! Now, I know, it’s a cliché to proclaim certain foods to be good enough to have for breakfast, but you have to admit, these must be one of the best breakfast cookies out there!
Wholesome Cereal Cookies
For the Wholesome Cereal Cookies:
- 125 g butter or coconut oil
- 1/3 cup unrefined sugar such as demerara
- 1 1/4 cups self-raising flour sifted
- 2 tbsp milk of your choice
- 1 1/2 cups granola, grain and nut flakes or other low sugar cereal
- non-dairy dark chocolate melted, to drizzle optional
To make the Wholesome Cereal Cookies:
- Using an electric mixer, cream margarine and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy.
- Add flour and mix on low-speed until just combined.
- Add milk and stir until dough comes together.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in cereal.
- Roll about 1/8 cupfuls of mixture into balls.
- Place on a non-stick baking paper lined tray, allowing enough room for spreading.
- Flatten balls slightly with a fork.
To bake the Wholesome Cereal Cookies:
- Place tray in a preheated oven and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until light golden.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- (Optional: melt dark chocolate in a microwave and drizzle over cooled cookies. Allow to set.)
To store and serve:
- Keep in an airtight container in the pantry. Enjoy with a glass of milk.