Allergy-friendly Australian Autumn Complete meals Dairy free Dessert / Sweets Entertaining Family meals Kids' meals Morning / Afternoon tea Quick and easy Uncategorized

Mix and Bake: ANZAC (coconut, oat and apple) Slice

This ANZAC slice is made with the same basic ingredients of oats, coconut and (wholemeal) flour, but layered with wonderfully crisp new season Pink Lady™ apples. Moist in the middle, crusty on the edge, the slice dairy-free too and made in one bowl, so if you are still looking to make something for afternoon tea, this would be a perfect treat!

They went with songs to the battle, they were young.Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning,

We will remember them. [Lest we forget.]

Laurence Binyon

This morning, we’ve decided to celebrate ANZAC Day and remember those brave Australian and New Zealand soldiers fallen in battle, with an ANZAC cookie inspired mix and bake slice.

Serve the slice warm with ice cream or double cream – it may sound a little overindulgent given the history of the biscuit itself and the nature of the morning’s proceedings, but think of it as a celebration of the freedoms that have been afforded to us by those who have fallen before. Lest we forget.

Mix and bake coconut, oat and apple slice // for ANZAC Day
Rating: 4.5
Super quick and easy cake that's made in one bowl and tastes delicious with apples, pears, or peaches. We used Pink Lady™ apples. Just a note, the oil is listed in grams, it is not a typo. Dessicated coconut works fine also, but you may want to add 3 extra tablespoons of milk.
    Servings Prep Time
      • 2 eggs
      • 1/2 cup milk
      • 125 g olive or macadamia oil (yes grams!), plus extra for greasing
      • 2 Pink Lady™ apples, 1 of them peeled
      Servings: -8
      To prep the apples:
      1. Cut apples into quarters, remove core.
      2. Cut each quarter into 3 slices, longways.
      To make the cake:
      1. Mix flour, baking powder, oats, coconut and sugar in a large bowl. In a measuring jug, whisk together the eggs, milk and oil.
      2. Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon.
      3. Grease a small slice tin with extra oil.
      4. Pour the batter into the tin. Arrange apple slices on top of the slice, alternating between peeled and unpeeled pieces.
      To bake:
      1. Bake in a preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the cake has turned golden brown and a skewer insterted into the middle comes out clean.
      2. Cool on a wire rack slightly before serving.

………………………………………………………………………………….

Grilled Prawns with Lemon Myrtle and Vanilla Hollandaise

{Day 6} Laksa lemak from scratch, with prawns and tofu

Warm Beetroot Quinoa and Rocket Salad

Michelle April 25, 2012 at 1:13 pm

I love WWI history and your post sent me googling to learn why your remembrance day is on April 25 (I figured it had to do with Gallipoli but wasn’t sure how the date fit in). The wall with poppies is beautiful.

ANZAC biscuits « Wholesome Cook April 25, 2012 at 1:54 pm

[…] But having visited the Australian War Memorial in Canberra for the first time recently, the memory of the sea of poppy red flooding the walls covered with thousands of young people’s names still vivid, I thought I’d do something different today. (2012 update: there are still no cookies but I made this delicious: Mix and bake ANZAC and apple slice recipe). […]

Miss Piggy April 25, 2012 at 1:54 pm

It’s in the oven as we speak. Took about 10 minutes to whip up – hope it turns as yummy as yours looks.

Wholesome Cook April 25, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Wow! That’s the quickest I’ve ever seen something go from “press” to table! I hope it does! Enjoy guys 🙂

justinefourjs April 25, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Perfect for a picnic as well, thinking of all those lost today and its a wonderful tribute to them 🙂

Wholesome Cook April 25, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Thanks Justine, and yes, you are right – perfect for a picnic or lunchbox!

whateverisinthekitchen April 25, 2012 at 2:47 pm

This looks good. When I ran a b&b about 12 years ago, I found another ANZAC recipe for a cookie that is one of my faves. I may have to post it in honor of your post!

Wholesome Cook April 25, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Thank you so much, I’ve never actually made ANZAC cookies themselves because one of the companies that produces them, donates some of the proceeds from the sales to a veteran’s fund which I think is very thoughtful so I like to support them. But, if yours is as good as you say, I may have to give them a go!

rsmacaalay April 25, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Very nice, I love your recipe.

frugalfeeding April 25, 2012 at 5:17 pm

What a delicious looking bake 😀 – I’d like some for mid morning coffee 😀

Bam's Kitchen April 25, 2012 at 11:34 pm

What a beautiful tribute! Do you serve it warm sometimes? I can picture how beautiful that would be with vanilla icecream next to it.

Sissi April 26, 2012 at 1:24 am

It looks fabulous, but where is the ton of butter??? (Just joking!) I have just made ANZAC biscuits once more (I think I must have made them dozens of times, they are so addictive and so quick, easy…) and they are so buttery I already feel guilty after two.

Wholesome Cook April 27, 2012 at 8:54 am

Yes, butter was the more original option but It tastes just as delicious without it 🙂

Courtney April 26, 2012 at 5:55 am

What a great tribute! This looks so tasty – and I like how easy it sounds.

Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide April 26, 2012 at 10:22 am

Beautiful photo with the red flowers. Great looking dessert too.

Nami | Just One Cookbook April 26, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I have never had pink lady apple but the name sounds pretty – assume apple has nice color. This looks very good and love the combination used in this. I eat a slice for breakfast and tea time and dessert after dinner with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! Perfect! 🙂

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed April 26, 2012 at 6:15 pm

gee, this looks divine!! gorgeous pics too. Lovely post.
      Heidi xo

shemyla June 6, 2012 at 7:06 am

what can we use instead of peanut oil? We have allergies to peanuts in our household and was after a good substitute for it. the recipe and the pix look delish!

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook June 6, 2012 at 7:15 am

Thank you and I’m sorry to hear of your allergies. You could use any other type of nut oil (rec macadamia), melted coconut oil or light tasting olive oil if you want to steer away from nuts.

thyme (Sarah) August 21, 2012 at 10:14 pm

I was looking for a “whole foods” recipe to use with some beautiful peaches that I have here. This cake might work really well with the peaches. I might try and replace that cup of white sugar with 1/2 c. coconut sugar and 1/2 cup stevia. I’ll see how it turns out! Thank you.

Sara December 12, 2012 at 5:58 am

Lovely! The coconut and apple sound like they’d go really well together.

Kathy Ehmann April 24, 2013 at 8:23 pm

THis looks just divine and i’ll be giving it a run tomorrow. When did ANZAC biscuits become cookies?

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook April 24, 2013 at 8:29 pm

My apologies, Kathy, I’m ESL and sometimes I just can’t see the obvious… until it’s pointed out! Of course! Changing the working now.

Sarah April 23, 2015 at 8:16 pm

This looks delish! But can I clarify is it wholemeal plain flour or wholemeal self raising flour? I would assume wholemeal plain flour based on the amount of baking powder it calls for….? Thanks!

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook April 23, 2015 at 8:29 pm

Hi Sarah, it’s plain wholemeal flour. Enjoy! This is a lovely slice!

Sarah April 23, 2015 at 10:15 pm

Thank you Martyna! Going to cook this for work tomorrow and ask my colleagues to make a donation for an Anzac Day fundraiser. Congrats on the cookbook! I look forward to seeing the finished product as your styleing and Images are always fabulous and the recipes fantastic!