The Best Creamy Mushroom Sauce for Steaks

Pin on PinterestShare on FacebookGoogle+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail to someone

None of the other creamy mushroom sauces compare! If you don’t believe me, I dare you to try it. After all, good steak deserves the best mushroom sauce.

It’s not often that I use such highly subjective descriptors and food writing clichés as “the best”, but honestly, life is too short for bad mushroom sauce! And, according to a number of steak-loving friends now, to use the adjective in this case is by no means an over-inflated exaggeration…

…This is why I have decided to share this recipe as my first contribution to the Honest Cooking magazine, an online publication that has won the title of the “Best Group Blog” at the 2012 Saveur Best Food Blog Awards! I am thrilled, excited and humbled to have been accepted as a contributor to a publication of this calibre. I encourage you to go and have a look, or follow Honest Cooking on Facebook.

Back to the sauce. My test subject and an all round steak-lover, Mr Chipconnoisseur, has done the hard yards for me in comparing my creamy mushroom sauce to so many others out there, that I’ve now lost count. It’s probably enough to say that every single time he has tried it elsewhere, we’ve had to have steak two nights in a row, because none of the other sauces compared. Too runny, to tasteless, too gloopy. So what’s my secret? Well there are 5 that make it work.

Cream. Mushrooms. Pepper. Garlic. Salt. And a little time, to let the sauce cook down and develop more intense flavours. I love watching it bubbling away, condensing, turning a golden caramel brown colour and waiting for the few minutes it takes to cook. You can really smell the mushrooms and the consistency becomes just right!

If you don’t believe me, I dare you to try it. After all, good steak deserves the best mushroom sauce. Speaking of which…

The Best Creamy Mushroom Sauce eBook

This sauce is fabulous not just on steak and works well with other flavour combintations! Want to know more? I’ve put together a little eBook with all the different tried and tested ideas. You can buy The Best Creamy Mushroom Sauce eBook here for only $1.99!

Best Mushrooms Sauce eBook

If you are interested in other simple and delicious sauces for steak, try the Creamy Peppercorn Sauce, Cafe de Paris Butter sauce, Vanilla Bean Hollandaise or my Asian-inspired Chimichurri.

5.0 from 2 reviews
The Best Creamy Mushroom Sauce for Steaks
Author:
Recipe type: mushroom sauce, sauce for steak
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 2

This 5 ingredient Mushroom Sauce for steak is easy to prepare and tastes fabulous! Serve with steaks or schnitzels.
  • 1 tsp olive oil or butter
  • 150g button mushrooms, cut in half then sliced
  • 150ml thickened cream
  • 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste
  • 1 tsp ground sea salt
  • (optional: 2 cloves of garlic, crushed)
  1. Heat oil in or butter a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sliced mushrooms and stir-fry until they are lightly browned, reduce heat to medium.
  2. Add cream, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally and watching that the cream doesn't overboil.
  3. Once the sauce has reduced by half, add crushed garlic, if using, and cook for another minute.
  4. Remove from heat and serve over your favourite steaks.

Comments:

97 Responses to The Best Creamy Mushroom Sauce for Steaks

1. Anne S says:

Whoa! That sounds so good! Both the sauce and your gig with Honest Cooking! Congrats!

2. Steph says:

Congrats Marty! Your sauce looks superb.

3. Congrats !! Very yummy sauce.

4. Eha says:

Wonderful news! Felicitations :D ! Will be great to follow you . . . [oh, the mushroom sauce looks yum too!].

5. Oh this sauce sounds really decandent….mushrooms with steak? Heaven!!

I think I will use that mushroom sauce for my burger tomorrow. Looks so good.

7. Pat Rowden says:

hi my name is pat would it be ok to change the recipe and leave out the garlic and the peper
    and use a soya cream, would that be ok recipe sounds real nice, but have problems with
    with the stuff I have said, yours Mrs Pat Rowden.

• Hello Mrs Rowden, you can certainly leave the garlic and pepper out if you are allergic to them and will not miss their taste. To make it more flavourful you could add a litle chopped parsley or dill, if you can handle these. Now for soay cream… I’ve made the sauce with soy milk before, so I think soya cream would work too. You may need to cook it for a little longer and lower the heat slightly. To help thicken the sauce, you could mix 1-2 teaspoons of cornflour with 1 tablespoon of cold water, then add to the cooking sauce and mix in. I hope that helps and that you get to enjoy this lovely version of the sauce. Best regards. Martyna

8. essentjewels says:

I’m going to make this.

Congratulations!!!! That is so awesome and well-deserved – you will do wonderfully I know. And I just wish I liked mushrooms, but I’m not a big fan. Hubs would be all about this, though. :)

10. Nami | Just One Cookbook says:

Hi Martyna! First of all, congratulations on being a contributor to Honest Cooking! That’s awesome! I really admire people like you who challenge yourself and step up. I look forward to seeing your contribution there. I’m going to make this mushroom sauce. Looks REALLY good!!!

11. Congrats. This is definitely a great way to start off!

12. Danny says:

Congratulations to you!

13. Congratulations Martyna! I do think your mushroom cream sauce is the best.

14. Sarah says:

I found this recipe after my husband requested rib eye with mushroom sauce for dinner. I have never made mushroom sauce before and am now wondering why. I made your sauce last night and it was soooo easy and a huge hit with hubby. Absolutely Delicious!!! Thank you :)

15. fredrick says:

I like the sauce is nice recipe

16. Eileen says:

the sauce so yum

17. Kate says:

Hi Martyna, Just wondering, have you ever cooked the mushrooms in a frypan first so they don’t sweat and soften as much? If so, did the texture change that much that it made the sauce icky (for want of a better word)?

18. ie says:

hi martyna congratulations!!! it looks good! i wanna try this sauce myself! great work!!!
    good job!

19. Elaina Jensen says:

I was looking for something diff. to go with our steak for dinner and I came across this recipe, thought I would give it a try…I always like trying new things, I have 3 very picky kids at home… At first I was very unsure about it, I cooked up the mushrooms and added the cream, it took a while for it to thicken and condense down.. I was almost ready to throw it out and try again, thank god I waited that 30secs to a min… everything started coming together and OMG!!!! it goes very good with steak!! will be making this again!!! THANK YOU!!

20. Linda says:

Hi Martyna, thanks for this recipe, it sounds delicious. I am planning on making chicken schnitzel for dinner tonight, do you think this mushroom sauce will work well with it? Also I’ve heard of adding white wine and wholegrain mustard- do you think this is necessary? Thank you

21. Linda says:

Hi Martyna, I made the schnitzels with the mushroom sauce tonight and it was a huge success. Didn’t need to add any extra ingredients, the flavour was amazing! Thank you :)

22. MG says:

Great recipe and really easy to follow. I added a little dash of brandy just before adding the garlic for a nice accent.

23. Ria says:

Hi Martyna, I liked your recipe & thought to give it a try, but I don’t have fresh mushrooms. Do you think canned mushrooms would do? Thank you

24. Pingback: 15-Minutes Mushroom Sauce (for Steaks and Mashed Potatoes) » Foodie Baker | Foodie Baker

25. Pingback: Salmon with Creamy Mushroom Sauce | selamat makaaan!!!

26. B says:

Blew. My. Mind. Yum.

27. Pingback: The Best Creamy Mushroom Sauce for Steaks | Treasury of Recipes

28. Mr. Cook says:

Ehh.. this sauce is standard.. don`t see anything special about it. This is how the basic mushroom sauce are made. Weird you staple this as something fenomenal.

Try twisting it with some creme freshe, cranberries and mixing with mushrooms purè and kepa onion blanc.. then you have a good fenomenal and other than standard mushroom sauce.

Blue cheese is another igreat twist.

• Sarah says:

It is the simplicity of it that makes this sauce so good. I don’t believe it was ever described as “PHenomenal” by anyone but is it very good. If you already know how to make a “standard” sauce, what are you doing here? You should spend your time on looking up correct spelling!

• Billy says:

I’m a cook and totally agree that this is basic, I started making this in the early 90s….

29. Jo says:

Thank you. I used your sauce with chicken breast for my picky niece – she loved it. It looked and smelled great and was really easy to make. Thanks again

30. insidecolour says:

Googled ‘mushroom sauce’ last night to find something I could make to go with steak. Have never made mushroom sauce before. This was so so simple and I had all the ingredients in the cupboard/fridge. Massive props from the boyfriend too, he reakons it’s just as good as the one his Mum use to make to go with Pierogi.Looks like i’ll be making it again soon to go with Pierogi. Thanks for a great recipe. Now a new fan of this website too :)

31. Melissa says:

Wanted mushroom gravy for tea love mushroom gravy partner always gets it when we go out for tea so I can cook it didn’t know how went on that many different sites and finally find this one iv only ever made mushroom gravy once was yuk well I jut made this one and it turned out wicked yummy <3

32. Sean Cullen says:

I am not the biggest fan of mushrooms, but my dad loves them so I got him to help me cook this, and wow now I think I will be eating more of this on my own steaks, yummo thank you heaps.

33. Anna says:

I tried this last night for the first time (but with soy fillet for my vego partner) and it was AMAZING!! So good, even without the meat ;)

34. nancy says:

love the recipe, it sound great, but not sure to use reg. cream or a heavy cream

35. Billy says:

“None of the other creamy mushroom sauces compare! If you don’t believe me, I dare you to try it. After all, good steak deserves the best mushroom sauce.”

This is a basic recipe and try using butter instead of olive oil so the butter incorporates with the cream instead of separating, there are far more modern/better mushroom sauces out here

36. Pingback: Easy Mushroom Pâté | Wholesome Cook

37. Haima says:

It taste good but it was so thick as if it was cream and it did not get the brown color, I had to add little water as it directly stick together once it become cold

38. Halima Ilyas says:

I’m making this tonight! Really looking forward to it, u sai to use thickened cream? Which cream would I use?

39. Katie says:

Can’t wait to try this later!!

40. Katie says:

Sooo delicious! Super easy to make! Had all ingredients at home. I wish I had made more! Next ill try it with chicken! Thanks!

41. Romney says:

I used milk with 1/2 tbsp if flour whisked in and brought to boil, also added 1more tsp olive oil than called for and carmelised the mushrooms prior to adding cold milk and flour mixture. Stirred constantly and your sauce is divine and low fat!! Thanks for the recipe best I’ve ever had!!!! Next time ilk put some different varieties in too…portobello :)

42. the_chef says:

Made it and loved it, but there wasn’t a lot of sauce so I have now doubled or tripled the recipe when I make it

43. the_chef says:

This is soo good! I usually double or tripe the recipe though.

44. jason says:

just don it ,great and easy recipe thanks x

45. The Fantastic Plastic Chef says:

Exactly the same as 3 million other creamy mushroom sauce recipes on the Internet!

46. Rose says:

That was the best sauce ever, I served it to my partner and his 16yr old son on their steaks and they loved it. Thank you!

47. Zubin Bhujwala says:

I dDont know how to cook but this is really easy and i tried it and I came out really good. I am going to make it again in the future.

48. Ashley D says:

I’m not a mushroom fan but had all the ingredients in the fridge and it was beautiful. I am converted!

49. Alii says:

This looks yummy ! Can I substitute the cream for something else? My stomach is very sensitive to heavy creams.

50. Glenn says:

Tried this using shitake mushrooms and sour cream as substitutes, adding the garlic at the end. WOW!!

51. Johnny says:

I think you are missing 2 important ingredients: red wine and cornflour.

52. beenish fahd says:

Hi I am Big fan of mushroom sauce , I will definitely try your recipe

53. Ratu Marcus Fiji says:

Need to add a dash of soya sauce.

54. Rachael says:

Hi I made the sauce twice the first time it was perfect , but the second time it didn’t thicken! What did I do wrong?

55. Sylvia Wallace says:

Can you freeze mushroom sauce

56. denis says:

hi Martyna. I tried a version of your recipe with whipping cream and it didn’t get thick enough. Maybe I used the wrong cream or I didn’t cook it long enough. What do you think?

57. Maritsa says:

Fabulous recipe, thank you!

58. Frankie Douville says:

I can only find single cream, will that do? What is the best cream to use? I cant wait to make this :) Thanks

• Hi Frankie, I use single cream sometimes too. Thickened or double cream will be quicker to thicken the sauce but single cream will work as well (and has less calories). You might need to cook the sauce for a couple of minutes longer.

59. kirsty says:

Hi I was wondering can you pre-make this sauce in advance?

60. James says:

This sauce is absolutely amazing! in-fact i just finished off a huge steak with this sauce not 10 minutes ago!!! Superb!!!!!

61. Pingback: The Best Creamy Peppercorn Sauce for Steak | Wholesome Cook

62. Tanya says:

Hi i find my sauce very salty i used sea salt (1tsp). I find it strange nobody else found it salty. I used salted butter but only a littl could that be my problem?

63. Dwayne Cook says:

this is a great recipe, I also added about a tablespoon of chopped fresh garlic chives which gives it another kick to the flavour

64. Andy says:

I made this sauce to accompany bbq meat, and was delighted! A friend who is not that keen on mushrooms loved it, and I will most certainly be making it again. Thanks for this simple, but tasty sauce.

65. Jaime says:

This was such a delicious sauce! Will definitely be making this again. I found it a bit salty though, so will probably just use half a tsp of salt next time.

66. Carol Holman says:

Made this sauce lovely, added a 20ml of sherry and makes it very decadent!

67. geoff says:

Could you add red wine to this to go better with steak or would that ruin it or conflict with other ingrediants.

68. Michael D'Amico of thornhill says:

hello martyna; just tryed this. however i did make a few changes.[this might be funny] first used about 2lbs of frozen giant puffball ‘shooms,2 % milk,3x the garlic,a small shot of grnd chiles and cooked a lot longer. the end result? i have a 2x batch cooking now for my friends.thank you. p.s. would not have used the ‘shrooms with outyou.

69. Michelle says:

Simply AMAZEBALLS!!! Thank you so much :) Made it last night and couldn’t get enough of it :)

70. Debbie says:

Hi. I made this sauce tonight and had it with chicken and it was amazing. I used baby button mushrooms cut in half rather than length ways and unfortunately couldn’t use any salt and pepper etc as I currently have an infection in my mouth. I couldn’t eat all the chicken as it was too painful but it was trully amazing and will definitely cook it again! I really enjoyed it especially as it was my first solid food in over a week so it went down extremely well! Thankyou.

71. Tracy Allan says:

This is the most amazing mushroom sauce ever. I’ve used it on steaks and chicken. Absolutely delicious.