Meatless Monday: Fried Egg, Chilli and Tomato Spaghetti

Pin on Pinterest12Share on Facebook1Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0Email to someone

Fried Egg, Chilli and Tomato Spaghetti is simple fare but equally as delightful.

We’ve been truly blessed with the weather in Sydney this past week. Thursday was the fourth warmest day this calendar year, and considering that January and February are our Summer months, that’s something.

Nevertheless, the nights are getting colder now and with that come cravings for comfort food. While roasts and slow-cooked stews fall under that category, we don’t always have time to make such elaborate meals, so a quick spaghetti with a hint of chilli is a great way to warm up after the sun has gone down.

And considering we had churrasco for lunch yesterday, this simple vegetarian meal was also a welcome break from all the meat.

Meatless Monday: Fried Egg, Chilli and Tomato Spaghetti
Author:
Recipe type: Dinner, Pasta, Vegetarian, Egg
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 2

I actually prefer the lightness of spaghettini (angel hair spaghetti) in this dish, but if you like your pasta slightly thicker, feel free to use traditional spaghetti. Chilli flakes can be substituted by 1 tbsp Sambal Oelek paste or a finely chopped red long chilli. I used organic cherry tomatoes and eggs.
For the spaghetti:
  • 120g (dry) spaghetti pasta
  • 2 eggs
  • 12 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
  • 1-2 tsp hot chilli flakes
  • 2 tbsp oil
To serve (optional):
  • salad greens
  • shaved parmesan cheese
To make the spaghetti:
  1. Cook pasta according to packet instructions (3-8 minutes depending on the type you use).
In the meantime, prepare your eggs and tomatoes.
  1. Heat oil in a medium fry pan over high heat.
  2. Crack in eggs, lower heat to medium and fry, sunny side up until the whites are set.
  3. Remove from pan and slice into strips.
  4. Return pan to heat and add cherry tomatoes, then using a pair of tongs, trasfer cooked pasta into the pan, add chilli flakes and stir-fry for another minute.
  5. Add shredded eggs and mix.
To serve: divide spaghetti between 2 bowls.
  1. Serve with some shaved parmesan and a side of salad greens if you wish.

Comments:

21 Responses to Meatless Monday: Fried Egg, Chilli and Tomato Spaghetti

1. starloz says:

I adore the simplicity of this dish, it sounds delightful.

2. The last photo says it all.

3. Nothing is tempting my low-carb self as looking at your beautiful photos of pasta.

4. Eha says:

A rather interesting way of ‘treating’ eggs ! Would you believe I’ll be able to make this using the last cherry toms from my own beds in the Southern Highlands? :) !

5. branny says:

This looks simple, delicious, and easy to whip up out of the pantry.

6. Fantastic! Egg goes SO well with pasta. I’ve met with scepticism about the combination, but you won’t receive any from me – delicious.

Love the empty plate – because that’s what you’d see at my house if I made this.

8. TasteFood says:

I love the heat and simple flavors in this recipe!

9. ChopinandMysaucepan says:

Dear Martyna,

I love the simplicity of this dish and I usually use baby capers instead of the egg to save myself even more work :)

• Thank you ChopinandMysaucepan. You’re right that capers go well with this too. Perfect for when you’re craving salty things. The egg is more of a subtle creamy choice, and yes a tad more work. :-) but worth it!

10. Nami | Just One Cookbook says:

My gosh, this looks so easy and delicious! I’ve never add fried eggs in spaghetti before…I totally never thought of that (I put it on bread, rice, but not pasta?! what was I thinking?). This is going to be our lunch this week. Could be tomorrow! ;-)

11. Sissi says:

Egg is one of the rare sources of protein I sometimes prefer even to good meat (although a thin slice of fried bacon would be difficult to refuse as a company ;-) ). Your spaghetti looks delicious.

12. I love this! So simple and fresh.

13. What a wonderful, simple, tasty meal.

14. kat says:

YUMMY! I love this idea! So simple for any night :)