5 Ingredients: Roasted Avocado Guacamole

Pin on Pinterest639 Share on Facebook0 Tweet about this on Twitter7 Google+ Email to someone

A delicious chunky Roasted Avocado Guacamole from scratch made with only 5 ingredients and a few minutes of your time. Probably the most famous Mexican dish.

Roasted Avocado Guacamole

When I order avocado on my burger or toasted sandwich I want to see chunks of the real thing, not green slime the consistency of sour cream, wouldn’t you agree?

Guacamole is one of my favourite dips, but so often the store bought versions disappoint. They contain very little of the fruit and plenty of fillers: cream cheese, cream, milk powders… Yuck!

So today, in a true Wholesome Cook spirit I’m saying no to store-bought dips (I’m sure there is an exception, but I am yet to find it), and making my own chunky guacamole from scratch. It’s roasted for extra fun and toasted flavour but if you’re stuck for time you can simply omit the 10 minute roasting step.

Roasted Avocado Guacamole

5 Ingredients: Roasted Avocado Guacamole
Author:
Recipe type: Dip
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 2

While traditionally Jalapenos are used to add a spice factor to the dip, for a nice colour contrast I added red long chilli instead. To help lift the acidity of the dip and keep it green for longer, I also used baby cocktail onions instead of raw onion. Besides raw onion can leave you with bad breath, and I'm sure you don't want that. As mentioned, you can omit the roasting / grilling step if you don't have time, but I find that you can pre-heat the oven grill and roast them while getting all your ingredients ready.
For the Roasted Avocado Guacamole:
  • 1 ripe avocado
  • ½ red long chilli (seeds removed if you prefer), chopped finely
  • 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander [cilantro]
  • 5 mini cocktail onions, chopped finely
  • juice of ½ lime
  1. Preheat your oven grill to high (about 200C, 400F).
To roast the avocado:
  1. Cut avocado in half and remove seed. Place halves, skin side down, on a roasting tray and grill for about 5 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
To make Roasted Avocado Guacamole:
  1. Scoop roasted avocado into a bowl.
  2. Add lime juice, chopped chilli, coriander and onions.
  3. Mash around well using a spoon or mortar and pestle.
  1. Serve Roasted Avocado Guacamole with a side of corn chips, slices of fresh baguette.
To store:
  1. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-2 days and use on burgers and sandwiches.

Subscribe to receive Recipes to your Inbox:

Comments:

19 Responses to 5 Ingredients: Roasted Avocado Guacamole

1. Very interesting.. I’ve never roasted an avocado. I’m sure it would have a much richer taste! Wonderful, healthy and fresh looking!

2. Eha says:

Interesting!! I have never roasted avocado for guacamole either!! Want to try and see the difference in looks and flavour. Not sure about the mini cocktail onions as I happen to kind’of dislike them, but not mind ‘onion breath’ a’tall, a’tall, a’tall as the Irish state it :) !

3. I’ve done weird things with avocados (we eat them mashed with sugar in my family) but have never roasted them, will give this a shot.

4. Roasted? how cool is this, you magnificent cooker person you. It looks fantastic.

5. That looks incredible. I’m so impressed with the way you’ve presented it.

Hmmm, I kind of love the idea of roasting the avocado – I think it’s genius!! I bet it adds just a slightly different flavor.

7. kat says:

I just love your photos! You always take the most beautiful pics! :)

8. Wonderful guacamole, certainly something to try!

Very interesting twist to a good classic, never had thought of roasting avos. Love this recipe

10. Anna says:

Great idea to use the mini cocktail onions – would never have thought of that! Yum…

11. Nami | Just One Cookbook says:

I’ve never roasted avocado before but I recently saw avocado being grilled. Cooking avocado is going to be my next experiment! We, especially my son, loves guacamole, and he doesn’t mind eating this for every snack. Thank you for the easy recipe!!

12. Debbie says:

I live right on the border of Mexico so Mexican food is everywhere where I live and I’ve never heard guacamole fixed that way, but it sounds very interesting. For those of you have never thought of cooking avocados it I have an amazing treat for you…..Fried Stuffed Avocado!!! It’s absolutely amazing!!! It is usually stuffed with white cheese and either already cooked chicken or beef fajitas. Simply cut avocados in half, take out the seed, take the peel off ofcourse, put whatever you’d like inside and put avocado back together. You then cover it in a lite batter and fry it or even bake it. Delicious!!!!

• Hi Debbie, those baked avocado suggestions sound delicious, I’ll have to try. As for fixing guacamole in a mortar and pestle, it is in fact a traditional method – checkout this month’s Mexican issue of Saveur magazine, they have the authentic mortar and pestle for guac in there. :-)

13. Jessica says:

What is the effect of the roasted Avocado? Smokiness? Textural difference?

1. Pingback: Pumpkin and Coconut Dip | Plus 5 Other Homemade Dip Ideas | Wholesome Cook

2. Pingback: Easy Grilled Guacamole- Only Five Ingredients! - BBQ Dragon