Homemade Cherry Ripe Bites with No Added Sugar
These Homemade Cherry Ripe Bites taste exactly like the bars you get from the shops! Made with only 5 ingredients they contain No Added Sugar – only fresh fruit!
You see the original Cherry Ripe is made with glace cherries, which have extra sugar (and preservative) added. Even dried tart cherries have added sugar, so I passed on that idea. Instead I roasted some fresh cherries myself. But don’t worry, my fresh cherry version, with no added sugar, is still sweet enough.
And because I’ve developed this recipe for the Berry Nice to Meet You Blog Hop, I’ve added some homemade dry-roasted strawberry powder for extra flavour and sweetness. As this step takes a couple of hours, you could use store-bought strawberry powder, or the same amount of dried goji berries instead.
If you’d prefer to go dairy-free or vegan with these, simply use dairy-free chocolate chips or make your own vegan chocolate.
I used a rubber ice cube tray from this range - it needs to be rubber, because the filling, although set, is a little soft so it won’t come out as easily out of a regular hard plastic mould. Or, you could just as easily use a small rectangular container to make your treats into bars.
- 250g fresh cherries
- 2tbsp dry-roasted strawberry powder* OR 2tbsp goji berries
- ¾ cup dessicated coconut
- 1tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 140g dark chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 110C (90C fan-forced, 225F, gas mark ¼).
- Wash strawberries are remove stems.
- Slice strawberries into 4mm thick slices and spread on a paper-lined baking tray.
- Roast for 2-3 hours, until strawberries have dried out.
- When dry, grind to a powder in a coffee grinder or blender.
- Preheat oven to 160C (140C fan-forced, 325F, gas mark 3).
- Cut cherries in half and remove pit.
- Spread cherries, cut side up, on a paper-lined baking tray and roast for 20 minutes.
- Place roasted cherries and strawberry powder in a 2 cup capacity jug. Blend using your stick blender until smooth.
- Add dessicated coconut and melted coconut oil. Mix to combine.
- Fill a silicone ice cube tray with the cherry berry mixture and place in the fridge for 1 hour to set.
- Once set, remove from the mould.
- Melt dark chocolate in a small bowl (in the microwave is fine, heating for 20 seconds at a time then mixing).
- Dip cherry ripe bites in melted dark chocolate. Set aside on baking paper for the chocolate to set.
- Keep Cherry Ripe Bites in an airtight container in a cool, dry place or in the fridge for upto 1 week.