5 Ingredients or less Allergy-friendly Complete meals Dairy free Dessert / Sweets Entertaining Family meals Gluten free Kids' meals Recipes Spanish Valentines Day Vegetarian

Seriously, it takes less than 15 minutes to make a batch of these delicious Mini Churros. And this simple (gluten-free, if you prefer) choux pastry can also be used to make cream-filled Eclairs and Profiteroles

Oh Em Gee! So cute, aren’t they?

And yes, ready to be devoured in under 15 minutes. I was inspired to whip up a batch for datenight dessert the other night because of this this Spanish donut-making video. It makes it look really easy, and hands down, it really is! While I used my regular choux pastry recipe for us, I wanted to make sure I got the gluten-free version right for you also. The churros in my photos are in fact gluten-free.

The texture of the donuts is so much lighter than the regular flour choux, almost too fragile to handle hence the churros turn out a little squiggly. Delicious nonetheless.

Oh, and the same choux pastry can be used for my other favourites: eclairs and profiteroles, in a slightly healthier, although cream-filled, baked incarnation. Actually, it’s much of a muchness really on the fat front so pick your own favourite and run with it…

I think you can see which ones are my current favourites though! I think the Chilli Chocolate ganache-like dipping sauce has something to do with it. What do you think? Cinnamon or sea salt would work just as well if heat is not your thing…

Now, naturally, these are not an everyday food eventhough they are so temptingly easy to make. Best enjoyed when friends come over of when you have a datenight with your own special  Mr Chipconnoisseur.

So, tell me, have you had churros before? Would you make a batch at home? What would you add to the chocolate?

Mini Churros with Chilli Chocolate | Gluten-Free Choux Pastry
This 5 ingredient gluten-free choux pastry is super quick and easy to make - perfect for those Mini Churros, or for eclairs, profiteroles and cream puffs. You will need a piping bag (single use is fine) and a small star-shaped nozzle - mine was about 6mm wide. For a regular version using plain flour, use 1/4 cup of flour and 20g butter, method remains the same.
    Servings Prep Time
      For the gluten-free Choux Pastry | Churros:
      • 1/8 cup plain gluten-free flour
      • 1/8 cup rice flour
      • 1/4 cup water
      • 25 g unsalted butter cubed
      • 1 egg
      • Olive or coconut oil for frying
      For the Cinnamon Sugar:
      • 1/4 cup unrefined sugar or natvia
      • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
      For the Chilli Chocolate Sauce:
      • 25 g dark chocolate
      • 1/4 cup cream
      • ground chilli to taste
      Servings:
      To make the gluten-free Choux Pastry | Churros:
      1. Sift the flours into one bowl.
      2. Place water and butter in a small saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat until the butter has melted and the mixture comes up to the boil.
      3. Working quickly, remove the saucepan off the heat, add sifted flours, place back on the heat and mix vigorously with a wooden spoon until the mixtures forms a dough ball.
      4. Transfer pastry ball into a clean bowl. Add egg and whisk together until the pastry is smooth and lightly glossy.
      5. Transfer pastry into a piping bag, twist the end of the bag, squeezing mixture gently into the nozzle.
      6. Heat olive oil in a small, shallow saucepan or frypan over low heat - the oil level should only be about 2cm or 1inch deep, until just starting to smoke.
      7. Squeeze choux pastry logs into the hot oil, about 5cm or 2inches long, cutting off each churro log with pair of kitchen scissors.
      8. Fry 4 to 5 at a time, for about 20 seconds on each side, or until golden brown.
      9. Remove from oil onto paper towel using metal tongs.
      To Roll Churros in Cinnamon Sugar:
      1. Mix caster sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
      2. Once cool enough to handle, roll your mini churros in the sugar. And they are ready to serve.
      To make the Chilli Chocolate Sauce:
      1. Place cream and chocolate in a small saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring, until the chocolate has melted. (Alternatively, you can make this in a microwave 2 x 20 seconds). Add chilli and mix well.
      2. Transfer to a serving dish.

Healthy Homemade Granola

Strawberry Coconut and Lime Friands (gluten and dairy free)

Nectarine, Wombok and Fennel Slaw | My Favourite Things Jan 2015

Anne S August 27, 2012 at 9:55 am

Oh my! I never knew churros were so easy to make… Adding to my to do list ASAP.

Kath August 27, 2012 at 10:13 am

Thank you so much for this recipe. My daughter has been diagnosed with a gluten intolerance recently and this will be a great treat for her as she can no longer eat regular donuts. Have a great day.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers August 27, 2012 at 10:19 am

Oh my gosh these look amazing! I love churros!

Sammy P August 27, 2012 at 10:32 am

I want some right now, my mouth is watering just looking at them. I would definitely make some at home, and maybe try adding salt to the chocolate as you suggested. The salty sweet combo would mean I’d have to make a double batch! Hahahaha

john@heneedsfood August 27, 2012 at 10:41 am

The last time I made choux pastry was when I was in college studying professional cookery, over 20 years ago! Your churros are just divine and I’d love to try them with both salt and the chocolate. Actually, a little orange zest and cardamom would go nicely in the chocolate as well!

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook August 27, 2012 at 10:47 am

Oh yes! Orange zest and cardamom would be a nice addition too.

Tessa August 27, 2012 at 10:47 am

Your churros look fabulous! Lovely photos!

Eva August 27, 2012 at 11:14 am

Your photos are very pretty. I just want to reach in and grab the churro in the last one. Lots of chilli for me – great idea!

JJ @ 84thand3rd August 27, 2012 at 2:31 pm

These are way to easy for anyone’s good 😉 Loving the orange & cardamom suggestion too!

rsmacaalay August 27, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Wow the chilli is a nice addition to this classic, I never though of that before but I love chocolate with chilli (one of the best combo ever made)

Spencer Samaroo August 27, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I love churros! I reckon I could eat about 100 of them in one sitting.

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook August 29, 2012 at 10:22 am

Haha! You might have to tripple the recipe to get that many 🙂 just a tip…

chewtown August 28, 2012 at 5:58 pm

These look spectacular! I’m with Spencer… I have no “full” switch when I eat churros. I can just keep eating and eating them. I’ve been looking for an easy churros recipe lately – I’m definitely giving these a go!

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook August 29, 2012 at 10:21 am

Enjoy – I think churros are that type of food that you just can’t stop at one. Or two. Or twenty.

Tina @ bitemeshowme August 29, 2012 at 8:14 am

These look amazing! They are sooooo cute. I love my churros covered generously with cinnamon sugar also. With me, you can’t just stop at eating one churro. My hand just keeps going back for more, and my mouth just keeps chewing!

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook August 29, 2012 at 10:20 am

Haha, that’s exactly how I feel about my churros! Perhaps that’s why the recipe is only for a small batch. Otherwise it would be very dangerous! 😉

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella August 29, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I always thought that churros were a big production but 15 minutes is no time at all! 🙂

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook August 29, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Ha! That’s exactly what I thought but seeing that video opened my eyes to how easy they are to make!

Kris - Caterer September 1, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Yum! So pretty! I love profiteroles, and these look super delicate and delicious!

Bam's Kitchen September 5, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Oh my goodness! How did I miss this entry? Its booked marked now for safe keeping. My boys would go nuts over these little churros. I was thinking I might even try dipping them in some nutella. What do you think? Take care, BAM

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook September 6, 2012 at 10:22 am

Oooh nutella would work too, just heated up a little… now I’m thinking of making some again!

Aria Chocolate Tart (Dark Chocolate Tart with Dark Chocolate Sorbet in Profiterole and Easy Chocolate Sauce) » Foodie Baker | Foodie Baker December 20, 2012 at 2:22 am

[…] Mini Churros with Chilli Chocolate | Gluten-Free Choux Pastry for Churros (Eclairs and Profiteroles) (wholesome-cook.com) […]

Kelli nalder April 7, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Yum yum yum and even more so yum for all us glutards out there hanging out for weekend when eclairs shall appear. Thank you so much for sharing such yummyness

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook April 7, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Yay! Glad I could help – they are soooo good! Enojy. Eclairs are my favourite indulgence.
      PS LOL: I only once before heard the word glutard but have been too scared to use it since I am not one. It would be politically incorrect of me.

Coffee Cream Eclairs and the Only Choux Pastry Recipe You’ll Ever Need | Wholesome Cook July 17, 2014 at 11:16 am

[…] Hands down, this choux pastry recipe has never failed me. I have baked it in gas and electric ovens. In Sydney and overseas. I have made it into all of the aforementioned shapes and other sizes. I’ve used gluten-free flour and fried it as churros! […]

Pickled Cactus July 21, 2014 at 3:29 pm

We also offer Churros as a dessert in our restaurant. Good idea to have them gluten-free.

alex August 4, 2014 at 7:24 pm