Image default
Commentary Events Guides and How Tos Recipes

Meat Free Mondays Australia and Foodwise Launch

Today Australians are going to be urged to hang up the BBQ tongs, put down their sausages and steaks and have a Meat Free Monday. Read more to find inspiring resources, meat-free recipes and take the pledge today. Handy not just for us Australians.

About the Campaign

The Meat Free Mondays campaign has been launched in Australia by not-for-profit organisation Do Something! and the Fry’s Family Foundation with major support from leading nutritionist Dr Rosemary Stanton and a host of well-known chefs. Research support is provided by the University of Technology Sydney’s Institute for Sustainable Futures.

The campaign, a brainchild of environmentalist and 2010 NSW Australian of the Year, Jon Dee, isn’t about asking Australians to become vegan or vegetarian. It is designed to raise awareness of the numerous personal health and environmental benefits of eating less meat.

I am super excited to announce that I have been invited to be part of the campaign, providing a number of recipes to the Meat Free Mondays and the Foodwise websites. You can view all my recipes here. My happy healthy kitchen articles are coming soon too!

Recipes and Resources

Apart from delicious recipes from chefs such as Maggie Beer, Simon Bryant, Nicole Senior and Janella Purcell as well as Paul, Stella and Mary McCartney – submitted specifically for Meat Free Mondays, you can also find a number of inspiring articles on keeping a healthier and less wasteful kitchen. Handy not just for us, Australians.

Some of my favourite stories include:

Others, such as Kylie Kwong, Guy Grossi, Luke Mangan and Neil Perry have also contributed recipes to the Foodwise recipe bank.

So, how can you get involved?

Head over to the Meat Free Mondays Australia Facebook Page or visit the Meat Free Mondays Australia website and take the pledge today. Both Foodwise and Meat Free Mondays sites are packed full of great recipes as well as information and tips for keeping a healthier and less wasteful kitchen.

People who have already taken the Meat Free Australia pledge include Sir Richard Branson, nutritionists Dr Rosemary Stanton and Joanna McMillan and eat-local supporters Maggie Beer and Simon Bryant.

So, tell me, will you take the pledge and have yourself a Meat Free Monday?

Healthy Florentines

A Healthier Take on Three Junk Food Classics

11 Healthy Game Day Food Ideas

Kerry Anne November 26, 2012 at 11:22 am

What a fantastic resource! Congratulations on being involved with such a great cause Martyna, really love what you’re doing.

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook November 28, 2012 at 9:10 am

Steph November 26, 2012 at 11:32 am

Congrats Marty, it’s great to see you up there with everyone else. Looking forward to reading your articles – you are so full of amazing tips and iedas. Great work to the Foodwise team too! I’m ready to take the pledge.

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef November 26, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I’ve done meatless Mondays for a long time. I think it’s a great idea. Not only is it healthy but it cleans the veggie drawer in the fridge. win-win. I’m off to check out those links.

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook November 28, 2012 at 9:11 am

Indeed Maureen, there are always so many vegie options lurking in that drawer and they end up quite yum.

Eha November 26, 2012 at 1:37 pm

A couple of decades ago I began having, firts one then two, meatless main meals a week. Have loved them and am still collectimng wonderful recipes from around the world. I believe in the idea but do not necessarily ‘make it a Monday’ – that may not suit! Good luck anyways and I am looking forwards to reading and using all the recipes 😉 !

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook November 28, 2012 at 9:13 am

Hi Eha, just like you we try to go vego more than once a week. And whether it’s Monday or any other day, it’s a tasty and rewarding experience.

Kirsty @ The Natural Foodie November 26, 2012 at 3:30 pm

It’s about time Australia caught up! This is great to read and congratulations for being part of it!

Anna @ The Littlest Anchovy November 27, 2012 at 2:42 pm

What a fantastic idea and how exciting to be developing tasty recipes for this! Will head over now to check it out.

JJ @ 84thand3rd November 27, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Congrats on being involved with such a great campaign!

Sissi November 27, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Congratulations, Martyna!
I have heard about Meat Free Mondays… It’s an excellent idea in countries where people eat big amounts of meat and do it often (I know some European countries, where it would be a great diet “fashion” too). Healthwise, Meat Free Monday is not something I need to practice. (I should rather go for chocolate-free half of the weeks 😉 which in Switzerland is simply impossible…)

Nami | Just One Cookbook November 29, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Congrats on being involved in a big campaign like this! I’m going to suggest my husband MFM. we don’t eat a lot of meat, but I think we can clense ourselves once a week and eat simple. 🙂