Healthy Homemade Granola
This easy Healthy Homemade Granola recipe is low in sugar and filled with wholesome goodness of nuts, seeds, and other crunchy bits to make for the most satisfying breakfast, or snack! It’s also vegan and gluten-free, just in case you were wondering.
I had this fantastic idea to make super crunchy and out of this world good for you Florentines. Instead they turned out to be a super crunchy and out of this world good for you Granola!
As the case is with a lot of making up recipes from scratch, they don’t always work the first time around. While my vegan Florentines came out of the oven promising and the raw version had set ok in the fridge, when I tried to dislodge them from the muffin tray I’d set them in, they crumbled and fell apart.
It was 4pm I had been cooking all day and frankly I just didn’t have another Florentine attempt in me. I stared at the crumbled cookies, took a snap to Instagram some other time and thought: hang on a sec…this would make a fantastic granola! Packed with all sorts of natural and wholesome ingredients like almonds, pepitas, sunflower seeds, macadamias, pistachios and chia seeds. Sweetened with only a little rice malt syrup and a few organic sultanas for good measure, the addition of rice krispies adds the extra crunch. Awesomeness, I thought.
And so, at 4:10pm I sat at my desk with a bowl of the crunchiest, most satisfying, no added sugar bowl of Granola I’ve had in… well, probably ever. I am glad the Florentines didn’t work out, because breakfast for the rest of the week has been that much better!
Oh, and then I had another thought since I am trying to plan a wedding – this would make a perfect gift for the guests to take home, don’t you think?
So tell me, dear reader, do you have days when you crave breakfast foods as a snack? Do you find more comfort in cereal or cooked breakfast foods?
- 1½ cups rice krispies [ I used Nature's Path brown Crispy Rice ]
- ¼ cup almonds
- ⅛ cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- ⅛ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup shelled pistachios
- ¼ cup shredded organic coconut
- ¼ cup macadamias
- ¼ cup organic sultanas or raisins
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- In a mesuring jug, whisk together wet ingredients.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients bowl and mix well.
- Turn the granola out onto the paper-lined baking sheet and spread evenly around.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 10 minutes or until the granola has turned golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Store granola in an airtight container in the fridge pantry for 2-3 weeks.