Allergy-friendly Breakfast Complete meals Dairy free Dessert / Sweets Gluten free Kids' meals Low sugar Morning / Afternoon tea Paleo Quick and easy Recipes Uncategorized Under 30 Minutes Vegetarian

Paleo Almond Pancakes

Paleo Almond Pancakes

These fluffy Paleo Almond Pancakes are quick to make and taste fantastic topped with a mixture of berries… or lightly fried bacon! Yep, on the Paleo diet you can eat bacon! Gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, vegetarian. Low FODMAP. Under 30 minutes.

Paleo Almond Pancakes

On Saturday I held a garage sale. It was cold, rainy and not the least busy. I sat there shivering, waiting and all I could think of was being inside and having some pancakes. By the time I closed up and listed my items on eBay instead, I had brainstormed a few recipe reinvention ideas, gone through my still-to-be-packed pantry contents – in a few weeks we will be moving house, and thought I’d try my hand at making the pancakes Paleo.

I’ve never really been a subscriber to a particular diet and I guess you could say that I am a mixed diet person, trying to incorporate a few things from different styles of eating into our everyday life. You can read more about the Paleo Diet here, but what it basically requires is eliminating all grains and grain-like foods, legumes, processed sugar and diary products from the diet. To be honest, we all probably have cooked Paleo before without even realising… You can eat all the meat, eggs, fish, fruit and veg you like just avoid things like pasta, rice, bread, chickpeas, lentils, cornchips, milk, cheese, butter, yoghurt, etc.

Paleo Almond Pancakes

Now, the base of the pancake batter is very simple and uses some staples like eggs. Milk is substituted by filtered water and both bicarb soda and apple cider vinegar are added to promote that fluffiness, which makes pancakes sooo irresistibly good. As for the dry ingredients, well, my grain-free flour options were limited to just a couple I had on hand as I am trying to run my food stores low. I chose to go with blanched almond meal because it worked so well in these Fig and Almond Tarts. In fact, this recipe is very similar but refined sugar-free.

So, tell me, do you follow a specific diet plan or are you a mixed diet person like me?

Paleo Almond Pancakes

Paleo Almond Pancakes
Paleo Almond Pancakes
These fluffy Paleo Almond Pancakes are quick to make and taste fantastic topped with a mixture of berries... or lightly fried bacon! Top with some ice cream if you're allowed or drizzle with just a smidgen of maple syrup. Amazing! Makes about 5 pancakes.
    Servings Prep Time
      Servings Prep Time
      2 10 minutes
      Cook Time
      5 minutes
      • 2 eggs
      • 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
      • 1/2 cup mashed banana (1 medium-sized ripe banana)
      • 1/8 tsp sea salt
      • 1/8 tsp cinnamon
      • 1/4 cup water
      • 1/4 tsp bicarb soda
      • 1 cup blanched almond meal (almond flour)
      • coconut oil for frying
      For the topping, choose from:
      • 1/4 cup mixed berries per serving
      • 1 free-range bacon rasher fried lightly
      • 1 scoop of ice cream
      • 1/4 cup vegan coconut custard
      Servings:
      1. In a medium sized bowl whisk eggs with apple cider vinegar until just combined.
      2. Add mashed banana, sea salt, cinnamon and water. Mix well.
      3. Add bicarbonate of soda and almond meal. Mix with a spoon to combine the batter.
      4. Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil in a large fry pan over medium high heat. Using a ladle (I used a 1/4-cup capacity ice cream scoop) spoon 1/4 cup of batter per pancake into the pan an spread lightly - you should try to cook 2 or 3 at a time. Cook for 2 minutes, or until the bottom side is golden brown, then flip carefully and cook on the other side for another minute.
      5. Repeat with the remaining batter, making as many pancakes per batch as your pan will allow.
      6. Remove from the pan and serve immediately with your choice of toppings.

Teriyaki Chicken and Grilled Pineapple Salad + Aussie Pineapples Event This Weekend

Ethiopian Berbere Beef

Salted “Caramel” Popcorn Squares

Steph April 22, 2013 at 9:58 am

They look like “real” pancakes, this is fantastic. I have to say although I love bacon, I would have to go with mixed berries too. And some maple syrup. If you’re gonna indulge… haha!

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook April 26, 2013 at 11:22 am

We have been over-indulging in bacon tomato and cucumber sandwiches lately, so it was berries for me all the way in this one. Maple syrup is a great idea! Enjoy!

Tessa April 22, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Gorgeous pancakes!

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef April 22, 2013 at 2:03 pm

I probably SHOULD be on a diet but it hasn’t happened yet. I’d like some of these pancakes first. 🙂

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook April 26, 2013 at 11:25 am

Maureen, no no! I’m not saying anyone should be on a particular and specific diet… Quite the opposite, everyone is different, so you should find the foods that make you and your body feel comfortable. If bacon is your thing then go for it, and if you feel bloated from eating fruit then perhaps eating less of it, or finding ones that work for you are the way to go 🙂

Rach @ twolicious April 22, 2013 at 3:36 pm

We are gluten free at our house (I’m coeliac), but I am seriously considering going grain free (and dairy free) at least for the kids and I. My daughter is non stop eating, and never seems fulfilled by her food. I do know 2yo are little growing beings- but seriously!
      Pancakes are usually eaten until there is no more batter, until I made some grain free macadamia pancakes (she did still have 5- after her dinner, but was not wanting more).

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook April 26, 2013 at 11:28 am

Hi Rach, it might indeed be the way to go for your daughter… I’ve found that eating highly processed (white flour) bread and sweets used to leave me craving and eating more than I would more nutrient-rich foods, or even things like steamed vegetables. So now, I am not afraid to have steamed veg as a side to my eggs rather than “empty” toast… Much tastier too.

Medeja April 22, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Yummy! I have’t tried banana and almond together yet! They looks just lovely.

lateraleating April 22, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Hey Martyna, great recipe. I haven’t tried using apple cider vinegar in pancakes, but can say that both coconut and homemade almond milk work well.

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook April 26, 2013 at 11:29 am

Thanks for the tip Gaby! I thought about using coconut milk but we are moving and I didn’t have any so went with water and apple cider vinegar. They were great too.

Anna @ The Littlest Anchovy April 23, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Wonderful recipe Martyna! Love the crushed raspberries, also love the bacon option. I am definitely giving this recipe a go.

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook April 26, 2013 at 11:50 am

Thanks Anna, the raspberries became crushed accidentally, in the freezer 🙂 but work a treat that way!

Christina @ The Hungry Australian April 25, 2013 at 12:10 am

Nice pancakes, Martyna. I’m on the see-food diet 😉

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook April 26, 2013 at 11:52 am

Hahaha! Good one Christina, that is me most of the time, but to be honest when I’m creaving things like sugar-laden snacks it is often enough for me to see them to satisfy the craving. I’m sure that diet is called something different though… or is it the same?

Sylvie Shirazi (@gourmandeinthek) May 4, 2013 at 6:25 pm

I’m a mixed diet person as well, taking bits and pieces here and there and tailoring to my own needs.

Paleo Almond Pancakes | Macca's Fitness Box June 6, 2013 at 4:40 pm