If you like sushi, you will love the fresh and spicy flavours in this Salmon Salad Sandwich. Dressed with egg-free and vegan Avocado “Mayo” it can be enjoyed on its own, without bread if you prefer. It can also be easily packed for a work lunch. (egg-free, dairy-free; option: gluten-free, Paleo, soy-free; vegan – mayo) It is interesting how our bodies have a way of telling us what they need. I’ve been reading a lot about cravings – the way these needs manifest themselves, in my Integrative Nutrition coursework. Many of the cravings can be easily deciphered and often substituted by healthier alternatives. And so, if you crave ice cream why not try having a glass of chilled fruity tea that will have the same cooling effect on the body without the additional calories and additives.
Deciphering Your Food Cravings:
- Chocolate – magnesium (try: raw fructose-free chocolate, no sugar cherry ripe bites or hot chocolate made with cacao or unsweetened cocoa and your choice of milk)
- Sweets – blood sugar fluctuations (try: high fibre-foods such as bananas, apples, beans, legumes, wholemeal baked goods, mango yoghurt ice pops or choc banana ice cream)
- Salty – stress (try: leafy greens, bananas, vitamin B supplements)
- Cheese – fatty acids (try: salmon, avocado, nuts or use flax seed to crumb your schnitzel)
- Red meat – iron (try: leafy greens, beans, legumes, dried fruit)
On the flip side, I think we often experience the anti-craving; or not feeling particularly hungry for a certain type of food. And so for instance, I hardly ever feel like having rice and I don’t often have pasta or bread. The strange thing about bread is that while I grew up on sourdough and rye bread sandwiches and I find the smell of a freshly baked loaf irresistible, my body does not always agree. Recently I have began to notice that I cannot eat a slice of bread in the evening without feeling bloated and so I have been cutting down on my consumption of the same after lunch. This particular salad filling, whether you have it between two slices of your favourite bread or as a salad, is great for when your body is craving good fats, a few greens and a touch of salt.
So, tell me, what foods do you most often crave and do you try to make healthier substitutes?