Zucchini and Broccoli Soup | 20 Soup Recipes for All Seasons
Bursting with seasonal veggie flavours, this Zucchini and Broccoli Soup is a tasty winter warmer. Quick to make, it freezes well and can be reheated quickly for when you’re stuck for time.
This is it, move week is here! Most of our memories, belongings and knick-knacks have been carefully packed away, awaiting – admittedly more patiently than any of us, their shift to our new home on Friday. With a half-packed away kitchen and an emptyish fridge I have been busy planning out this week’s meals that would give us the energy needed to move but be easy to make and quicker to serve.
Luck had it that in amidst of all this commotion, I was contacted by some lovely people working for Jamie Oliver inviting me to take part in a seasonal Soup Challenge as part of the Food Revolution Day which falls on this Friday, May 17th… our move day! The whole idea behind Food Revolution Day is simple: cook it, share it.
As part of the challenge we are provided with a fresh veggie box of seasonal produce from Aussie Farmers Direct. It’s a fantastic service that delivers fresh produce directly to your door – you can check out this week’s box contents here.
So, what’s this campaign about? Food Revolution Day is not so much about raising funds, but about raising awareness and helping out in your local community, workplace or school to do the same. If you believe in the magic of food and that everyone should know how to cook simple but tasty and nutritious food, you should join in the activities or at least find out how you can improve the way you eat at home. The Food Revolution team has put up some great resources on how to:
- encourage kids to eat healthy at school
- make healthy eating at work a breeze
- living the food revolution at home and in everyday life
You can share your seasonal recipes or snaps via Facebook, Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #FRD2013 or tagging the @FoodRev team to let them know you’re in! I will be!
Here are 20 seasonal soup recipes to get your tastebuds inspired no matter the season:
- 1 tbsp peanut oil (or other good oil if allergic to nuts)
- 1 brown onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ red long chilli, seeds removed and sliced
- 2 zucchinis, sliced
- 1 celery stalk, sliced
- 1 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 head of broccoli, florets only
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- sprinkling of ground coriander seeds
- Greek yoghurt, about a tbsp per serve
- diced sundried tomatoes
- 1 sprig spring onion, sliced
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add onion, garlic and chilli and cook for a minute, stirring, until fragrant.
- Add zuccchini, celery and herbs. Cook for another minute or until zucchini is slightly softened.
- Add stock and broccoli florets. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and blend using a stick blender or transfer into a jug blender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immedieately, topped with a spoonful of Greek yoghurt, some diced sundried tomatoes and sliced spring onions.