Smoky Chipotle Lime Prawn Salsa on Avocado Mash
This Smoky Chipotle Lime Prawn Salsa on Avocado Mash is the perfect entertainer for seafood lovers. Spicy, zingy and fresh – it’s easy to throw together for when unexpected guests pop over. Gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free.
It’s been just over a week since our house move – one of the reasons I’ve been quiet, but we have managed to unpack most things and settle right in. Our neighbours welcomed us to the street with a selection of homemade Anzac bikkies, a cute hand-drawn card and some cereal slices. In return we treated them to this platter of gluten-free brownies, gluten-free banana bread bites and sugar-free macadamia nutella (recipe to come) complete with handmade clay gift tags.
Some of our swiftness in getting the new house in order can be attributed to Matt’s parents who helped us move, the other I think to the general lack of services connected on time. We’ve had a much welcome but also at times frustrating respite from television, the internet and mobile phone reception. Frustrating because for the most part it is hard to communicate with the outside world without the internet or mobile phone working properly, but the silver lining for me in all of this was waking up one morning to see the kids snuggling up on the couches while enjoying a pre-breaky Rummikub duel in the lounge room.
Yesterday was the first day we stopped unpacking whatever boxes we were trying to get to the bottom of and sat down for a few hours on the back deck, in the company of good friends and got to really enjoy the new place. It was a simple cheese, wine and nibbles affair with the added deliciousness of this quick smoky chipotle and lime prawn salsa, very refreshing indeed.
So tell me dear reader, what’s the first thing you unpack when moving house? Do you take foodie gifts to your neighbours and invite them over for a cup of tea?
- 1 medium avocado
- Juice from ¼ lemon
- 12-15 large cooked peeled prawns (about 500g [2lb] unpeeled, or 250g 1lb] peeled)
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1-2 sprigs coriander, roots trimmed and the rest chopped finely (or parsley if you prefer)
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 tbsp finely chopped red onion
- 1-2 tbsp smokey chipotle chilli sauce
- Mash avocado with lemon juice. Spread on serving plate.
- Chop peeled prawns into three chunks. Mix together with diced tomato, finely chopped springs of corisnder (or parsley if you prefer), lime juice, finely chopped red onion and hot chipotle chilli sauce. To serve: top avocado mash with prawn salsa.
- Drizzle over with extra chipotle sauce if you like the extra heat.
- Serve chilled with corn chips, crackers, pita bread, lettuce wraps or on it’s own.