Chocolate Macadamia Nut Butter Spread PLUS 6 Other Macadamia Recipes
This super simple sugar-free macadamia nut butter spread is made with the goodness of just one ingredient macadamia nuts! Make it indulgently chocolatey too by adding a little raw cacao to the mix and some stevia drops for sweetness if you wish. While it’s not quite the same as Nutella, it definitely is the healthier option.
Macadamias, with their sweet buttery flavour and texture that’s silky with a soft crunch, are one of my favourite nuts, mainly because they are extremely versatile for kitchen use and, once shelled, are easy to use too. They are high in omega-3 fatty acids and go well in brownies, ice creams, crusted onto fish and, as I found out at the Australian Macadamia season launch on Thursday, they make a great thickener for soups.
What many people don’t realize about this tree nut is that they are native to Australia. According to the Australian Macadamia Society, which supports over 800 growers nationally, only 50 per cent of Australians are aware of the nuts’ origin! That’s nuts, isn’t it?
My favourite way of enjoying macadamias, aside from snacking, is in the form of a nut butter. It can be easily whizzed up in a food processor, blender or even a chopping attachment of your stick blender too – the KitchenAid Artisan Blender I’ve been testing worked really well (more about that and your chance to win one on Friday).
For added flavour, because let’s face it, chocolate makes many things better, I like to add a dash or raw cacao to the mix. If you prefer your nut butter sweeter, you could add some stevia drops to the blend for a sugar-free treat. Perfect amount of goodness to share around with your new neighbours or old friends…
Here are 6 other ways you might like to enjoy your macadamia products next time:
- Salted “Caramel” Popcorn Squares
- Lemon Myrtle Prawns with Macadamia Vanilla Hollandaise
- Raw Macadamia Lime “Cheesecake”
- Macadamia Banana Cream Pie
- Macadamia Chocolate Ice Cream
- Pumpkin Macadamia and Coriander Soup
- 1½ cups raw unsalted macadamia nuts (about 225g or ½lb)
- 1-2 tsp raw cacao powder
- optional: a few Stevia drops, to taste
- Place macadamia nuts in a blender or food processor. Process on medium-high speed for 3-5 minutes until the oil in the nuts is released and they begin to form a smooth butter. Continue to process until your desired consistency is reached.
- Add cacao powder, and Stevia drops if using, and mix in.
- Store Chocolate Macadamia Nut Butter Spread in an airtight container or jar in the fridge for upto 2 weeks.