Easy Mushroom Pâté
This easy to make Mushroom Pâté is a tasty vegetarian rendition of the French classic. Better still, the pâté can be frozen and used as a flavourful addition to soups and stews. Slow cooked (or confit) duck leg meat can be substituted for mushrooms if you’re not a fan of mushies. PLUS share your favourite mushroom recipe
to WIN a copy of my Mushroom Sauce mini eBook! Congrats to Jayne!
Mushrooms are one ingredient that you either love or hate. Personally, I am a mushroom lover. I have been known to put sliced mushies on grilled cheese sandwiches – something I inherited from my years growing up in Poland where the only “junk food” available back then were grilled Mushroom and Cheese Baguettes sold on most street corners.
Mushroom Sauce eBook Giveaway (Closed): Simply leave a comment telling me your favourite mushroom recipe – the tastiest sounding recipe will win so get creative. I’ll pick announce the winner on Monday 1st July. And the winner is…Jayne! Congrats and thanks to everyone for sharing their yummy mushroom creations.
PS For the next couple of posts, I am going to go a little butter heavy. Why? Because, unless you are vegan or lactose intolerant, pure butter makes for a much healthier choice than any other (especially “vegetable” oil!) spread. It tastes better, and if you are after a more natural spread butter is it. More about the ins and outs of the Butter vs Margarine Debate on Friday.
- 500g button mudshrooms (champignons)
- 2 tbsp butter or ghee
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2-3 tsp sea salt, plus extra to taste
- zest and juice of ½ orange
- ¼ cup port
- 20g butter or ghee
- Brush off any dirt from mushrooms and slice them finely.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large saucepan over medium heat and add mushrooms, thyme, pepper and salt. Cook stirring until the mushroom have browned and wilted.
- Add orange juice, zest and port and cook for a further minute or so, stirring, for the liquids to cook down. Add extra salt if desired. Remove from heat.
- Using a stick blender, blend mushrooms until smooth (or leave it lightly coarse if you prefer). Divide pâté between 2 ramekins – or spread one serve into an ice cube tray if using for sauces, and allow to cool.
- Melt butter or ghee and pour over the top of the pâté. Allow to set before serving.