Green smoothies are super healthy so why not take all of the cleansing ingredients that you would generally throw into a green smoothie, and make a delicious nutrient-dense Green Smoothie Lovers Pesto to serve on your favourite sandwich or pasta? It’s win win and a delicious one at that…
I’ve been reading a lot about green smoothies lately. The next best thing to a nutritious powerhouse that’s the green smoothie and for many people (points finger at self) more palatable is a green pesto. I’m obviously not talking about the store bought stuff – made with vegetable oil and what-not. I’m talking about my all green pesto or as I like to refer to it, the Green Smoothie Lover’s pesto.
It’s obviously a little sandwich-ified with a strong aroma of garlic and cheese, not something you’d generally find in a liquid drink version, but still, it contains more greens than many of us would often be able to eat in a day. It keeps for a few days, making it super easy to spread on a slice of toast in the morning or stuff into your favourite sandwich. In fact, just over the weekend, we tried something similar for breakfast in Melbourne: pesto sourdough topped with grilled haloumi and poached eggs. Yum, really.
PS If you are wondering about the origins of some of the props in this post, a couple of weekends ago I ended up going to Marrickville where at Reverse Garbage I picked up this particular “tabletop” for 50 cents and the books in the shot for $1 each. It is a great place to pick up props, stationery, old books and even cassette tapes!
Green Smoothie Lovers Pesto | Garlic Prawn Toasties
For the Green Smoothie Lovers' Pesto:
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped coriander or flat leaf parsley tightly packed
- small handful watercress
- 6 large pitted green olives
- 1 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup finely grated cheddar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- good grind of salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup frozen peas thawed
- bread of choice
- 3 peeled cooked prawns per serve or poached chicken or egg
To make the Green Smoothie Lovers' Pesto:
- Place all pesto ingredients except for peas in a large jug and using a hand blender, blend until the herbs are minced well. Add a little water, about a tablespoon, if the pesto seems a little dry. Add thawed peas and mix into the pesto.
- Spread pesto on a slice of sourdough bread, be generous. Top with prawns and pop under a hot grill for 4 minutes for the pesto to "melt". If using eggs or poached chicken, grill the pesto bread first then top with an egg or chicken pieces.