Sugar-free Hot Cross Bun Truffles
Chocolate at Easter time is such a given, as are the traditional hot cross buns. Combining the two in a bite-sized truffle is a fun and indulgent way to enjoy a treat these holidays. Dairy-free, sugar-free, vegan and Paleo.
A few months ago, as I was brainstorming recipe ideas for the March issue of Nourish Magazine, a simple google search for Easter hot cross bun truffles uncovered a number of good-looking but sugar-laden recipes that also contained dairy. I wanted mine to be different, so I got to work and made these.
See also: Natural Dye Easter Eggs
They ended up looking really cute, especially when served up on this Bed Bath N’ Table cake stand – see giveaway below. When asked to do a blind taste-test, Liana said they reminded her of chocolate hot cross buns! My work here was done.
The base is made with blended raw cashews and vanilla powder – just on its own it tastes sublime! Recently I have found that many people with nut allergies are actually okay to consume cashews – best to chat to your health care professional to see if this might be an option for you.
See also: 77+ Easter Egg Decorating Ideas
When it comes to chocolate, I used Loving Earth Dark chocolate – it’s a 2-ingredient number that’s dairy-free, soy-free and processed sugar-free but you could opt for a 70% cacao dark of your choice or go higher on the percentages if you prefer. Because the truffles are sweetened with a couple of dates, they mellow out the bitterness of dark chocolate.
Organic wild dried blueberries add that element of dried fruit to the truffles. I tend to go for unsweetened varieties (some, like cranberries, have added sugar or fruit juice concentrate and sunflower oil). You can buy 100% pure dried blueberries here and here if you’re in Australia and here in the US – they ship worldwide as well.
Giveaway: Win a $100 Bed Bath N’ Table Gift Card Just in time for Easter! Feel free to follow Bed Bath N Table on instagram for more homewares inspiration. To enter the giveaway simply leave a comment below telling me in 25 words or less how this gift card would make a difference to your Easter celebrations. Be as creative as you like – the best entry wins! Giveaway is open to Australian residents with an Australian delivery address. The gift card, donated kindly by the Bed Bath N’ Table team, can only be redeemed in store and is valid for 12 months. Entries close midnight 23 March. Winner will be contacted via email and must respond within 48 hours to claim the prize.
- 50g raw cashews
- 50g dark chocolate of choice (see note), melted
- 2 Medjool dates, pitted
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla essence or powder
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened preservative-free dried blueberries or raisins (see note)
- Place cashews in a small food processor or chopping attachment of a stick blender and process until a smooth “dough” forms, about 10 minutes, scraping down sides as needed. Reserve a pinch of the paste for the crosses.
- Add remaining ingredients and process for another minute to blend well. Using your hands, roll the dough into 8-10 evenly-sized balls.
- Roll out remaining cashew paste into think strips and place over each truffle to form the cross, press gently into the dough. Refrigerate before serving.
- They can be made about a week in advance.