Image default
Allergy-friendly Australian Complete meals Dairy free Dessert / Sweets Entertaining Family meals Gluten free Low sugar Morning / Afternoon tea Nut free Paleo Recipes Valentines Day Vegetarian

Gluten-free Chocolate Cake with Rocher-inspired Icing

Moist. Dense yet light. Decadently chocolatey and with the ability to make it gluten-free like ALL of the 180 recipes in The Wholesome Cook book. The icing doubles as a real food nutella, so clever. And the cake? I don’t know anyone who has stopped at having just one piece!

The Wholesome Cook book chocolate rocher cake recipe gluten-free

One of the favourite blog recipes has been transformed for The Wholesome Cook book. I shared it on stage at the Smooth FM Festival of Chocolate at the Rocks on Saturday 12th September. With tastings that went down a treat.

Now, it’s a cake that’s a little indulgent and as adaptable as it is beautiful to look at and, not to mention, delicious. That’s the whole premise of the book, too. Eat food that’s best for your body. Be flexible when catering for a crowd or entertaining friends with intolerances.

Great, huh?

The Wholesome Cook book chocolate rocher cake recipe gluten-free

The cake can be made using wholemeal flour, or teff flour which makes a wonderful version that’s also gluten-free. Best of all it is easy to make and uses just a few pantry staples, plus good quality butter or coconut oil for the dairy-free version. The celebration shot was actually take on the day of Helena’s birthday – she was one of my assistants helping with cooking the book for the shoot.

It is versatile enough to use as a ‘mudcake’ to be covered in frosting for birthday cakes, can be layered with whipped cream and jam, baked in a muffin tin for lunchbox-sized treats or made into 27-or-so baked donuts.

Wholesome Cook Chocolate Donuts Recipe

How cute are they?

I have made the cake and these donuts so many times now. Hands down it’s one of my favourite last minute party cakes that turns out no matter the oven. In fact, it is our family’s favourite celebration and cupcake-drive cake.

I chose to make the Rocher-inspired icing because hazelnuts go so well with chocolate and the broken up wafer (gluten-free waffle cones or buckinis for a gluten-free version) add an interesting crunch to the mix. If you are allergic to nuts you may, of course choose to use just a plain cream-based ganache icing and omit the nuts from the topping.

If you can have them though, the icing makes a wonderful, real food… NUTELLA! Store it in a jar and spread on your choice of bread or rice cakes. Delish.

Serve the cake while still slightly warm in the middle, as the vanilla and cocoa aroma is much more intense then and the cake is even more spongy and soft. Leftover cake can be kept in the fridge for upto 5 days, but I’m sure it will never last that long…

The Wholesome Cook book chocolate rocher cake recipe gluten-free

Want the recipe?

Head over to The Alimental Sage to grab the recipe. There’s an interview and a bit more about the book, too.

The recipe for this cake and 179 more refined sugar-free recipes, all with gluten-free options and adapatble to other common dietary lifestyles is also in my cookbook.

ORDER YOUR COPY TODAY

WholesomeCook chocolate cake donuts

(CLOSED) Mother’s Day Brunch Ideas + WIN One of Three Copies of The Wholesome Cook Book

How to Make Strained Yoghurt Cream Cheese PLUS Labneh, Shrikhand and 5 Other Ways to Use It

Dukkah Lamb with Grilled Eggplant, Chickpea Tomato Sauce and Labne

Bec August 17, 2010 at 5:44 pm

That cake is sooooooooo good! We’re eating the first pieces as i’m typing this lol….AND I even made the One Pot Wonder Spaghetti & Meatballs for dinner tonight…was fantastic! Thank you so much for the recipes…you’ve made Paul one very happy, well fed man 😀

Now, time for the second piece of cake…

Wholesome Cook August 18, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Thanks Bec! I’m glad you both enjoyed it.
I wasn’t telling fibs when I said one piece is never enough…

Marty

Kerryn September 5, 2010 at 9:44 am

I made it as muffins and they were delicious! Especially heated a little as suggested. Thanks so much for the recipe – easy and tasty – can’t get much better than that!

Wholesome Cook September 11, 2010 at 10:10 pm

Thanks for your kind comments Kerryn, I’m glad you enjoyed the muffins 🙂

libby March 17, 2011 at 9:20 am

i baked it wiv my aunt it was delicous cant be beta thnx so much 4 the recipe i love ferero rochers im eatin em right now thnx so much 4 tat recipe

Wholesome Cook March 17, 2011 at 10:01 am

Hi Libby, so glad you enjoyed the cake!

Jeannie June 24, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Wow!! This cake is amazing. My daughter said it is the best chocolate cake she has ever had and we quite often bake chocolate cakes. Thanks! A

Wholesome Cook June 24, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Wow! Thank you – that’s a great compliment and I’m thrilled you liked it!

eftychia September 16, 2011 at 7:04 pm

What a yummy cake!!

Rifat December 14, 2012 at 12:11 am

best chocolate cake i ever made, thank u so much! although i did an addition. i split the cake in the middle and soaked it with a little mixture of melted chocolate and milk. yum yum yum 😀

Azza January 22, 2013 at 1:58 pm

I will try making it tomorrow night for my husband’s birthday. will let you know how it turns on Thursday. Hope they’ll like it 🙂

Sarah May 4, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Looks fantastic, although I learned long ago never to use recipes for cakes. Since then, I’ve never had a cake that didn’t look and taste absolutely perfect. No cracking tops, no failed textures, just pure perfection. More people should try baking intuitively…they might be surprised to discover their own creations are so much better than following often misleading ‘recipes’.

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef October 21, 2015 at 12:30 am

What a beautiful cake! The book sounds dreamy too. Congratulations!

Clare October 28, 2015 at 9:04 pm

I’m so glad that you posted this! Such a great recipe to try this weekend and proof that you don’t need to cut out everything in order to achieve that balanced lifestyle. Such misconceptions in the fitness and health industry that you need to be eating raw vegetables and bland food to achieve a healthy lifestyle, you actually need balance.

Thanks for sharing,
Clare from Team Fit and Wellbeing (https://fitnessandwellbeingblog.wordpress.com/)

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook October 28, 2015 at 9:21 pm

Thanks Clare! My thoughts exactly 🙂 Enjoy the cake – I’m glad you’re share similar views!

Look Who’s Been Cooking The Wholesome Cook Book… Join in the Fun | Wholesome Cook November 4, 2015 at 10:22 am

[…] Cook book in the following reviews: by Lee Holmes Supercharged Food, get the recipe for the Rocher Cake and a little background interview by Camilla from The Alimental Sage and grab an adapted Almost […]