5 Ingredients or less Allergy-friendly Autumn Breakfast Dessert / Sweets Family meals Kids' meals Morning / Afternoon tea Quick and easy Spring Summer Vegan Vegetarian

3 Ingredient (Instant) Chocolate Banana Ice Cream

With as little as 3 ingredients and in less than 5 minutes you can now have dessert for breakfast, afternoon tea or as a low fat, low sugar alternative to other dessert-time treats.

Similar to my LSA smoothie – Mr Chipconnoisseur’s weekend breakfast staple, but denser in consistency, the choc banana ice cream has become one of my favourites instant pleasures. And it definitely wowed the crowds at my first cooking demostration yesterday. As the last dish of the day, I have to say it was probably the one that impressed the most. The all-women class was amazed at how quick and simple this recipe was, and how tasty the result.

With the price of bananas around $15 a kilo in Australia at the moment, it may seem like an expesive dessert, but I often find sightly over ripe fruit discounted to $6 a kilo at our local supermarket. They freeze very well and it is actuall frozen bananas that make the ice cream so inatant. Select slightly over ripe fruit, then peel, slice and keep in a zip lock bag in the freezer for quick and convenient access any time.

I love it too, because it is so versatile. If you’re allergic to dairy or vegan, use lactose free milk such as soy, rice, oat or almond. If you would like to make the ice cream more creamy, add 1/4 of an avocado – it will add richness to it without altering the flavour.

3 Ingredient (Instant) Chocolate Banana Ice Cream
The basic recipe is full on flavour and only 3 ingredients. Consider adding other things like oats, linseed or avocado to make the ice cream more wholesome.
    Servings Prep Time
      • 1/4 avocado
      • 2 tbsp malt powder
      • 2 tbsp oats or linseed
      • 2 tbsp protein powder of your choice
      • 2 tbsp crushed walnuts to top
      Servings:
      1. To make the ice cream: place all ingredients in a sturdy jug and blend using a stick blender. The ice cream will have the consistency of soft serve. Return to the freezer for 10 minutes if you prefer a slightly less runny consistency.

The Best Chewy Flourless Chocolate Brownies

Fun Garden Salad with Edible Dirt

5 Ingredients: Rum and Raisin Ice Cream

Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide August 14, 2011 at 11:25 am

I love these photos, just so nice. I’m not even a big banana guy and it’s making me want to whip out the blender.

Wholesome Cook August 14, 2011 at 1:26 pm

If I added that Mr Chipconnoisseur doesn’t eat bananas straight up but loves his smoothie, you just might! 🙂

Erin@TheFoodMentalist August 14, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Love it!!!

Sweet Life by Mel August 14, 2011 at 7:17 pm

I LOVE this! My step daughter thinks it’s great. It’s also good with a tablespoon or two of peanut butter & honey 🙂

Wholesome Cook August 16, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I can imagine it being very nice with peanut butter and honey. Like a banana split in an ice cream! Thanks for the suggestion Mel!

lateraleating August 16, 2011 at 10:16 am

Yum! Thanks for the ideas!

sara @ Belly Rumbles August 16, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Love the tip on the bananas, especially as they are just so expensive at the moment. You can’t go by a nominal ingredient, quick and easy recipe that is satisfying too.

I am just like mr Chipconnoisseur, I don’t eat bananas straight up (the texture makes me a little gaggy actually), but I love the taste of them, and eat them almost any other way.

Wholesome Cook August 16, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Well, this should be right up your alley then. Definitely non-gaggy 🙂

Emma Galloway August 16, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Just like my mama used to make for us as kids and now me with my kids 🙂

Wholesome Cook August 16, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Hey Emma, nice to see you again – I visited your blog the other day, it’s lovely!

Spencer August 23, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Yeah, loving that recipe. Its a shame bananas are so expensive at the moment though!

Petra September 19, 2011 at 12:45 pm

As soon as I get a house I am making this! Living out of hostels sucks for cooking!

emilyadamiani October 10, 2011 at 2:41 am

Oh my gosh! I’ve been looking for a recipe like this for quite a while! I absolutely must try this A.S.A.P.! Thank you so much for sharing!

How To Grocery Shop | Wholesome WomanhoodWholesome Womanhood June 6, 2013 at 11:05 pm

[…] there. They also mark down very ripe bananas (great for muffins, breads, smoothies, popsicles, and “ice cream”), dairy, and bread. I work to not spend all of the money in our budget so that I have some left […]

13+ Healthier Ice Cream and Ice Pop Recipes | Wholesome Cook October 2, 2015 at 11:56 am

[…] I’m sure you’ve heard of nana ice cream. It’s simple and made with frozen bananas. Add a little cacao or peanut butter to the blend (banana split-style) and you’ll be set for dessert – get the recipe from the archives here. […]