Dessert / Sweets Entertaining Gluten free Morning / Afternoon tea Quick and easy Recipes Summer Vegetarian

Coffee choc chip ice cream

If you are a serious coffee lover like me, you will appreciate the intense flavours of freshly brewed espresso and ground coffee beans in this delicious yet simple to make ice cream. No custards to make – just coffee, some sugar and cream. Oh, and choc chips for good measure!

No ice cream maker? Head on over to Delicieux to WIN a Cuisinart Ice cream maker (closes Sun 4 March, Australian residents only).

While the recipe has been right under my nose eversince I got my Cuisinart ice cream maker, it was Chanel who first alerted me to its existence. I knew I had to make it, after all coffee and chocolate and an occasional glass of red wine is what my doctor had ordered to alleviate those nasty migranes I sometimes get. Now, I can do that on a hot day with a scoop or two of this cool treat.

I can imagine the ice cream going extremely well with an oozy chocolate fondant cake or in a double hit affogato, but it’s just as delicious eaten straight out of the tub, in a waffle cone or a cup.

Coffee choc chip ice cream
I've changed the original Cuisinart recipe to incorporate freshly brewed espresso, extra cocoa and some freshly ground coffee beans for intensity. I also used skim milk and whipped my cream before churning the ice cream, for a lighter consistency.
    Servings
      • 2 tbsp cocoa powder
      • 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
      • 2 cups heavy cream well chilled
      • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
      Servings: cups
      To make the ice cream:
      1. in a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, vanilla, sugar, cocoa powder, espresso and ground coffee until the sugar is dissolved.
      2. In another bowl, whip the cream until soft peaks form.
      3. Add whipped cream and chopped chocolate to the coffee milk mixture and whisk gently to combine.
      To churn:
      1. Turn the machine on, pour the mixture into freezer bowl and let mix until thickened, about 25 – 30 minutes.
      To store:
      1. Transfer to a chiled loaf tin or an airtight container and freeze for 2 hours before serving.
      2. The ice cream is ready to serve even after longer chilling time - the cream keeps it scoopable at all times.

Subscribe to receive Recipes to your Inbox:

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) February 22, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Oooh, I’m bookmarking this to try! I’ve got some choc-coated coffee beans that I want to throw into a coffee ice-cream base but, for some reason, all the ones I’ve come across want lots of yolks for the custard base (up to 10!). This recipe means I can be lazy and skip the custard-making bit altogether!

Wholesome Cook February 22, 2012 at 5:35 pm

My thoughts exactly – 10 yolks is a lot, and I’m not big on meringues, macarons and white egg omelettes so would be a bit of a waste!

Michael O. February 25, 2012 at 5:06 am

One thing I love using leftover egg whites for is “Financiers”. Search for a recipe on tastespotting or foodgawker. They are one of the most decadent little cakes I’ve ever tasted in my life.

Wholesome Cook February 25, 2012 at 9:45 am

Thanks for the tip Michael, will have to give them a go one day!

Lizzy (Good Things) February 22, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Marty, I love a great tasting ice cream and I don’t think I have made a coffee based ice cream for years. Love the sound of this recipe, definitely one to print and try. And congratulations on being a finalist in The Melting Pot. Well deserved.

Wholesome Cook February 22, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Hi Liz, thank you so much – it was a very pleasant surprise!

Julie @ happygoodtime February 22, 2012 at 1:25 pm

This looks divine! I love the skim + whipped cream combo. Very smart. This is my husband’s absolute favorite ice cream flavor. I have a feeling that if I send him this recipe, he’ll buy me an ice cream maker straight away.

That usually does the trick =) Sneaky, sneaky me.

Wholesome Cook February 22, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Perhaps you should, if that fails suggest that you get an advance on your Birthday / Mother’s Day / Christmas / Anniversary gift! That works too 🙂

Danny February 22, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I love your visuals! Great photos!

Wholesome Cook February 22, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Thanks Danny!

filingawaycupcakes February 22, 2012 at 2:29 pm

This is wonderful and delicious looking!

Coffee choc chip ice cream « Wholesome Cook | Coffee February 22, 2012 at 3:20 pm

[…] more here: Coffee choc chip ice cream « Wholesome Cook ← The Secret Life of Keurig Coffee Maker […]

Sneh | Cook Republic February 22, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Delightful Martyna! So creamy and dark 🙂

Just A Smidgen February 22, 2012 at 4:10 pm

It’s so wonderful to see ice cream in the late winter here.. it brings lovely thoughts of summer to my mind! And this is one I would be addicted to… no need for any cake to go with this one, I’d love it all on its own!

rsmacaalay February 22, 2012 at 5:06 pm

I want to make some ice cream soon, that will be my next thing to buy. An ice cream maker to enjoy things like this

Maureen February 22, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Your photos keep getting better and better. I’m so envious!

No custard to make for this ice cream makes me want to run to the kitchen 🙂

Wholesome Cook February 22, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Thank you Maureen 🙂 And yes, it’s simplicity at its best!

Sherilyn @ Wholepromise February 22, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Coffee and chocolate – is there a better pairing in the world of food?

A Few Random Morning Links … | The Pretense of Knowledge February 22, 2012 at 9:51 pm

[…] Coffee choc chip ice cream […]

Anna @ the shady pine February 22, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I am bookmarking this one and can’t wait to try making it….it looks so luscious and the espresso and chocolate sound perfect in the ice cream!

saffronandhoney February 23, 2012 at 2:24 am

Oh wow, this looks fantastic. I love coffee and chocolate together (had an espresso hot chocolate the other day) – the coffee intensifies the chocolate flavor so much!

frugalfeeding February 23, 2012 at 5:05 am

Oh I do appreciate it and this look truly wonderful. The photography is so to die for! I live for my Sunday morning coffee in one of the local coffee shops 😀 – I work every other day 😛

Courtney February 23, 2012 at 9:11 am

I need an ice cream maker – maybe even just to make this dish.

Lisa {Smart Food and Fit} February 24, 2012 at 8:23 am

You had me at chocolate chip! I have an ice cream maker, it’s just sitting in my laundry room. Maybe this weekend I’ll go dust it off!

Jennifer (Delicieux) February 24, 2012 at 11:17 am

Your ice cream looks fabulous!!!! So creamy and smooth and I love the addition of chocolate chips. I especially love that last photo. Gorgeous!

Thanks for linking to my giveaway too!

Grown-up Shoes :: Blog, Vintage Shop, and Styling :: Austin, Texas February 25, 2012 at 1:20 am

[…] Yum […]

Mez February 26, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Gorgeous and OH so refreshing for this stinky Melbourne weather we are having at the moment.

I’d totally make an ice cream sandwich with this.

Yum!

Dr. Christenbury March 14, 2012 at 10:17 pm

I like this coffe ice cream recipe thanks for sharing

Tricia Ford (@lvscoffee7) April 27, 2012 at 11:38 am

I love a good combo of coffee and chocolate ♥

I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice-cream! | The random musings of Neen June 28, 2012 at 6:56 pm

[…] Eats *Ice-cream sandwiches from Smitten Kitchen * Coffee choc chip ice-cream from Wholesome Cook Like this:LikeBe the first to like this. This entry was posted in Food & plonk. Bookmark the […]

Asim Quddus Warsi July 18, 2012 at 1:48 am

This site is amazing and very nice and i like this site and i hope every one like it!

Kate August 5, 2012 at 7:37 am

My husband made this with the KitchenAid Ice Cream Bowl attachment and it turned out perfect! Very tasty! Thanks for the recipe!!