Because well all deserve the best mushroom sauce for steak. This creamy mushroom sauce goes exceptionally well with beef, as well as chicken. The recipe has been adapted from my debut cookbook, The Wholesome Cook.
Tried and tested mushroom sauce recipe
It’s not often that I use such highly subjective descriptors and food writing clichés as “the best”, but honestly, life is too short for bad mushroom sauce! And, according to a number of steak-loving friends now, to use the adjective in this case is by no means an over-inflated exaggeration…
My test subject and an all round steak-lover, Matt, has done the hard yards for me in comparing my creamy mushroom sauce to so many others out there, that I’ve now lost count. It’s probably enough to say that every single time he has tried it elsewhere, we’ve had to have steak two nights in a row, because none of the other sauces compared. Too runny, to tasteless, too gloopy.
So what’s my secret to the Best Creamy Mushroom Sauce?
Well, there are 5 ingredients that make the mushroom sauce for steak work so well. They include:
- Mushrooms – they are a great source of that savoury umami flavour
- Fresh cream
Plus a little time, to let the mushroom gravy to cook down and develop more intense flavours.
I love watching it bubbling away, condensing, turning a golden caramel brown colour and waiting for the few minutes it takes to cook. You can really smell the mushrooms and the consistency becomes just right! And so easy.
If you don’t believe me, I dare you to try it. After all, good steak deserves the best mushroom sauce.
How to make mushroom sauce for steak even better?
Adapt the recipe to your liking using the following add-in ingredients. Your tastebuds will thank you.
- a clove of fresh garlic toward the end of the cooking process.
- a splash of whisky or brandy for an interesting flavour twist.
- a splash of liquid smoke or some porcini mushroom powder for a more intense flavour
- some freshly chopped dill or parsley once the sauce is ready for a Scandi twist on the mushroom sauce.
Other steak sauce recipes you might like to try
The Best Creamy Mushroom Sauce for Steaks
- 1 tsp olive oil or butter
- 150 g button mushrooms cut in half then sliced
- 150 ml fresh cream
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper or more to taste
- ground sea salt to taste
- 1 large garlic clove crushed
- Heat oil in or butter a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sliced mushrooms and stir-fry until they are lightly browned, reduce heat to medium.
- Add cream, pepper and a good pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally and watching that the cream doesn’t overboil.
- Once the sauce has reduced by half, add crushed garlic, if using, and cook for another minute. Season with extra salt, if required.
- Remove from heat and serve over your favourite steaks.