While pearl barley contains gluten, it is a very good source of fiber and selenium, phosphorus, copper and manganese + a great alternative to oats for breakfast. Especially when paired with chocolate.
Wow, it seems the weekend has come and gone so quickly and I’m about to hit a storm of a week, head on. Work, birthdays, various deliveries, sending book off to Anna (my editor), hi Anna, and a bit of a forced renovation.
Luckily, there is one time of the day when I manage to find 10 minutes to myself. I plan out my day, ponder about things and enjoy a few rays of morning sunshine while having my second breakfast. The precious few minutes sometime between 9 and 9:30am are really special. And now that Winter is in full swing, I’m more often than not celebrating those moments with a big bowl of porridge.
Yesterday, I had decided to try something different. Instead of oats, I cooked up a batch of pearl barley and had it with hot milk and a nice helping of rich cacao milk. The natural sweetness of milk and nuttiness of pearl barley went, oh so well, with the rich flavour of raw chocolate… And aside from the health benefits of barley, I quite like the texture which is very similar to fully cooked oats, but a touch more “meaty”. A perfect breakfast for a little “me time”.
Make a larger batch and store cooked barley in the fridge for 2-3 days. Use as needed – it is a great addition to vegetable soups too!
Pearl Barley (+ Cacao) Porridge
For the Pearl Barley (+ Cacao) Porridge
- 2.5 cups water
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
To cook pearl barley:
- Place water and pearl barley in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over low heat and cook for 20-25 minutes, or until soft and plump.
- Strain excess water away through a sieve.
To make the porridge:
- Place 1/4 cup of the milk and cacao powder (or chocolate or cocoa - see note above) into the saucepan, heat over low heat, stirring, until the mixture is combined.
- In another saucepan, bring the remaining 3/4 cup of milk and cooked pearl barley to a boil.
- Transfer warmed pearl barley porridge into your serving bowl, drizzle over with cacao milk and enjoy.
- Top with fresh banana, blueberries, dusting of cocoa powder if you wish as well!