Allergy-friendly Australian Autumn Dairy free Dessert / Sweets Entertaining Gluten free Morning / Afternoon tea Quick and easy Recipes Summer Vegetarian Winter

Strawberry Coconut and Lime Friands (gluten and dairy free)

Delicious gluten and dairy free friands filled with summer’s best flavours of strawberries, coconut and lime. Great with a cup of hot tea in winter.

Last Friday I attended the Sydney installment of Australia’s largest food and wine festival, the Good Food and Wine Show. One of the new finds this year included Brookfarm‘s absolutely stunning award-winning macadamia oil. I grabbed 2 bottles and went on my way, with a few samples of their new gluten free muesli (yes!) and gluten free Porrij porridge – thanks guys.

Now it may come as a surprise that I have been able to find fresh strawberries as we are now a third of the way into winter. I guess we are really blessed that way in Australia. A variety of climates helps produce delicious fruits and veg almost all year round. These beautiful, flavorful Queensland strawberries come into season right about now and at $2 a punnet that’s a real steal, especially in winter!

Inspired by the ingredient and a delivery of brand new Baker’s Secret bakeware thanks to Impact Communications, I had decided to make summery friands. I don’t normally like to “waste” fresh strawberries in baked goods, but I thought that a fruitty friand would be the best match for the colder weather during our Aussie winter.

This friand recipe is yet another adaptation of my gluten and dairy free fig tarts – it’s just so versatile! This time I added some coconut and lime to the mix as well, which gave me a perfect excuse to also use Brookfarm’s delicious macadamia oil and Kokomo’s coconut water instead of the apple sauce I normally use to increase the moistness of the friands.

Strawberry Coconut and Lime Friands (gluten and dairy free)
I used Brookfarm's macadamia oil and Kokomo's coconut water in this recipe, but feel free to use melted butter if not allergic, or peanut oil or even light-tasting olive oil. Icing on the friands is optional, I simply prefer to either dust them with a little icing sugar or serve with a little squeeze of lime juice over the top and sprinkled with extra coconut.
    Servings
    Servings
    Strawberry Coconut and Lime Friands (gluten and dairy free)
      Servings
      Servings
      For the Friands:
      • 2 eggs separated into whites and yolks
      • 40 g unrefined sugar
      • 115 g almond meal
      • 1/4 cup dessicated coconut
      • 1/2 tsp gluten free baking powder
      • 1/8 cup macadamia oil or peanut or light tasting olive oil
      • 1/8 cup coconut water
      • 1 lime zest and juice
      • 6 medium-sized ripe strawberries hulled and diced
      • extra oil and gluten free flour for greasing and dusting the tin
      To serve, any combination of:
      • 1 tsp golden icing sugar
      Servings:
      To make the Friands:
      1. Using an electric mixer or whisk, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
      2. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until light and flufy.
      3. Add almond meal, dessicated coconut, baking powder, macadamia oil and coconut water. Add lime zest and juice. Mix well to combine.
      4. Add egg whites and fold through the mixture.
      5. Add diced strawberries and mix gently to distribute the fruit.
      To bake:
      1. Divide batter evenly between 8 holes of the friand tin.
      2. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the friands are just starting to turn golden.
      1. Dust the friands with icing sugar or drizzle with some lime icing. Top with shredded coconut if desired.

Almond Milk Panna Cotta with Blood Orange (or Raspberries)

How to Make the Perfect Risotto PLUS My Fennel, Mushroom and Truffle Oil Risotto

School night roast: Self-saucing herb and lemon chicken drumsticks

Just A Smidgen June 27, 2012 at 12:43 pm

These are so pretty.. is it difficult to find macadamia oil or is there a substitute you’d recommend?

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook June 27, 2012 at 1:04 pm

It’s an Australian nut oil, so may be tricky to find overseas. You could use any oil really, my preference would be for peanut or light-tasti olive oil.

Just A Smidgen June 27, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Thanks!

thelifeshemade June 27, 2012 at 12:55 pm

I picked up about 4 punnets for $2 each the other day. The strawberries from QLD are just gorgeous. I think they’re better than the summer berries.

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook June 27, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I totally agree, so fragrant aren’t they?

sherilyn @ wholepromise June 27, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I am tasting these through the screen. It is so cold, wet and miserable here in QLD at the moment. These would surely brighten things up. Yummo!!!

lateraleating June 27, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Excellent recipe, never thought of using coconut water in sweets but totally makes sense.

Anna @ The Littlest Anchovy June 27, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I am really interested in that Macadamia oil…I have been trying some different oils out lately and finding that they make a big difference to the overall flavour. These look so lovely, I would fancy one with my tea this afternoon!

rsmacaalay June 27, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I must start trying this gluten free stuff, not that I am allergic with gluten but I never tried any yet.

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook June 27, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Hey Raymund, neither are we but eversince trying a gluten free lemon polenta cake I have been experimenting with gluten free baking a lot. And dairy free too since I cater for morning tea gatherings occasiocally and there’s always someone bound to have an allergy to both.

Nami | Just One Cookbook June 27, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Hmm I love them! Strawberry + coconut sounds excellent and I can pop these into my mouth non stop. =)

Maureen (@OrgasmicChef) June 27, 2012 at 9:48 pm

These are so pretty! I want to make these soon. I love this sort of thing for afternoon tea with the “girls”. (said laughingly)

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook June 28, 2012 at 7:59 am

As a matter of fact, I’m taking a batch to a girlfriend’s place this morning… She’s just had a baby so I don’t want to bother her with providing morning tea 🙂

pencilkitchen June 28, 2012 at 11:05 pm

“When can I take pictures like that” oh… and “bake like that” 😀

machisan June 30, 2012 at 4:38 pm

My jaws just dropped when I saw this picture.

Jas (the gluten free scallywag) June 30, 2012 at 9:38 pm

These are almost too pretty to eat! I can’t wait to try this recipe as mine is only eggwhites and a fair bit of butter. I love the sound of the macadamia oil.

Diana Maull November 20, 2012 at 4:58 am

Won’t you please put cups or ounces after grams in your recipe directions, for those of us in the U.S.?

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook November 20, 2012 at 8:52 am

Hi Diana, apologies for that – I have been trying to do so in most of my recent recipes. In the meantime, for conversions please see this page.

fashionaccordingtosteph December 19, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Recipe looks great, thinking of making them for Christmas. Might sub blueberries though as I can’t eat strawberries. Would they still work in muffin cases or would it just not be the same?

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook December 19, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Hi Steph, of course you can make them in muffin cases. And you can try making them with blueberries or even chopped up mango might be nice if you can eat it 🙂

Lil August 22, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Do u know if xylitol would work in place of the white sugar?

Saskia July 2, 2015 at 8:50 pm

Wow, these look beautiful. I’m always on the hunt for good GF recipes, having three coeliacs in our extended family. Coconut water is an interesting addition to friands – I can imagine they’d be lovely and moist.

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook July 2, 2015 at 9:40 pm

Thank you, they are indeed quite moist and delicious. Like you, we have a lot of family members and friends who are either Coeliac or gluten-intolerant. Hence why I try to make most of my recipes adaptable.