The following Beetroot and Fennel Risotto recipe graces the pages of the May-June issue of Nourish magazine in my Healthy on a Shoestring column. Plus there are 5 more delish recipes to try.
So, now that the cat is out of the bag about The Wholesome Cook book, you know why I’ve been posting less frequently on the blog over the past six months or so.
Creating 170+ recipes, testing them all so that they can all be made gluten-free as well as adaptable for other common sensitivities, writing and shooting is a big task. Made even bigger when most of the recipes are brand new with only a handful of old blog favourites featuring in the 352-page tome, re-tested and with new images. Some of the online retailers have it on pre-order now.
In the meantime, I’ve continued to work for a number of clients and write for Nourish Magazine – I just love the direction in which the mag is going. It’s getting bigger and more beautiful with every new issue. The following Beetroot and Fennel Risotto recipe graces the pages of the May-June issue in my Healthy on a Shoestring column. There are 5 more comforting but cheap recipes to try. I have also been offered an exciting freelance food styling and photography job for Kuchnia, a culinary monthly in Poland.
As for the blog, over the next little while I’ve decided to also feature a number of quick and simple recipes from our everyday repertoire: quick to throw together lunches, soups, salads and simple desserts. I’ve been posting some photos on social media and recipe requests keep coming, so I thought why not share them with you as well?
Stay tuned, keep warm and enjoy this crimson beauty of a risotto. See also this post for tips on how to make the perfect risotto.
Beetroot and Fennel Risotto for Nourish Magazine
- 200 g beetroot peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive or coconut oil
- 1 baby fennel fronds and bulb chopped finely, fennel weeds reserved
- 1 cup arborio rice risotto
- 2-3 cups chicken or vegetable stock see tip
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- To serve
- 100 g creamy goat’s feta optional
- Bread of your choice optional
- Place beetroot in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, or until beetroot is tender. Add vinegar or lemon juice and pepper, then using a stick blender process to make a smooth puree. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped fennel and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until caramelised. Add rice and stir through to toast. Working in batches, add stock – a cup at a time, then bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring often, until the stock has been absorbed, repeat with remaking stock. After about 20 minutes the rice should be tender, cook a little longer if needed. Season with salt and stir though the beetroot mash.
- Divide the risotto between serving bowls, top with crumbled feta and reserved fennel weed. Serve with bread on the side, if using.