Thanks to the red curry paste this salad has quite a bit of spice kick to it mellowed out by the creamy cashews and almond oil in the dressing. Exactly what I needed after spending the drizzly and cold weekend hosting a garage sale. Check the ingredients label on your red curry paste if you want to make it vegan and shellfish-free.
I’ve been coming to this realisation for some time now… We don’t need all the stuff we are told we need. I’ve been reading a lot lately on the whole re-using movement and I am absolutely amazed by the sheer volume of waste that can be saved by sharing, selling and re-using everything from old technology to clothes, household stuff and more. The way I look at it, life well lived is not measured by the amount of stuff we have but by the quality of the human connections we make and uphold.
And so, I spent the entire drizzly-weathered weekend hosting a garage sale… selling some things, giving others away for free. I loved the fact that one of the neighbours who got a pair of free shoes turned up the next day wearing said shoes and said they were really comfortable for his walking. That to me was a perfect example of a human connection and stuff that I didn’t need making someone else happy.
Despite the weather, the turn out and sales were better than I expected, probably thanks to some Facebook advertising in the days prior, but I’ve found that after the initial rush of customers first thing on Saturday morning, I ended up greeting one, at most two folks every hour, and many were just there to browse.
On Sunday I rugged up in my uggs and knee-length duck down jacket because I was freezing my butt off but somehow I actually made it to the finish line with a few more sales and a good banter with all the neighbours and blow-ins who saw my signs and thought they’d pop in.
I was quite happy with the result and with the fact that many of items I previously loved have found a new home instead of being tossed. The rest will go to charity or I might try giving a few things away on the Buy Swap Sell groups on Facebook. Ah, the power of social media. Love it.
About the salad… it’s full of bold flavours and a little spice kick from the red curry paste. You might call it a superfood salad – there is so much goodness in it. It keeps for a couple of days in the fridge so you can take leftovers for lunch. If there are any.
Tempeh, Avocado and Red Cabbage Slaw
- 200 g tempeh
- 1 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1/4 head cabbage
- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 bunch bunch fresh coriander
- 1 sprig spring onion
- 2 tablespoons goji berries
- 2 tablespoons almond oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Cut tempeh into bite-sized chunks, place in a bowl and mix with the red curry paste. Shred cabbage, peel and dice the avocado then drizzle it with 1 teaspoon apple cider to prevent it from going brown.
- In a small frying pan, dry toast the cashews over medium-high heat for 2 minutes, tossing often. Finely chop the coriander and spring onion.
- Mix the remaining apple cider vinegar, almond oil and sesame seeds together to make a dressing. Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix together well. Allow the salad to sit in the fridge for 15 minutes before serving.