This gluten-free flourless chocolate mug cake can be made in 5 minutes (or less) are relatively mess-free and there is a no added sugar version too! Mug cakes really are a great little treat when you are craving something sweet and indulgent.
Flourless Chocolate Mug Cake
You might have seen them around. Mug cakes are popular single-serve cakes cooked in a microwave.
I love entertaining friends on weekends, but quite often dessert is the last thing on my mind. Quite often I just opt for a quick yoghurt platter, so adding this easy 5-minute cake to my repertoire is a good little party trick.
Mug cakes have become so popular that some are actually available from the supermarket but I prefer to make my own – that way I know what’s in them!
This particular flourless chocolate mug cake is gluten-free! Whilst I’ve adapted the recipe from Natvia, adding a bit more Natvia for sweetness. You can use brown sugar for a richer flavour or try erythritol for a sugar-free version if you can’t find Natvia where you live.
Serve with some ice cream if you like, and chopped fruit on top – oranges go well with my choc-orange version, or you could try berries as well.
Does it really take 5 minutes to make?
5 minutes (or less!) and a few simple ingredients.
In fact, it will take less time if you pop the cake batter into individual serving mugs or ramekins! Cook each mug cake for about 1 minute 20 seconds.
Customize your cake flavours
You can make it whatever you like really, I love the choc orange combination so that’s what I’ve popped in the recipe.
Here are some other flavour combinations to try the Chocolate (Mug) Cake with:
- Add a few drops of orange oil to the mix for a choc-orange flavour.
- Dot the batter with cherries or berries.
- Mix through 1/4 cup chopped nuts.
- Add 1 teaspoon ground coffee for a mocha flavour.
Flourless Chocolate (Mug) Cake in 5 Minutes
- 1 teaspoon butter or coconut oil for greasing
- 2 tablespoons cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon almond meal
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons Natvia or brown sugar
- 20 g butter
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 4 drops orange food-grade essential oil
- 1 teaspoon cacao or cocoa powder to dust
- Zest from 1 orange
- Vanilla or caramel ice cream optional
- To make a cake, grease the lase and sides of a medium shallow bowl with butter or coconut oil. If making 4 individual servings, grease the base and sides of 4 ramekins or 4 mugs.
- Place all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- In a separate bowl melt butter. Whisk in the remaining wet ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well to combine into a smooth batter. Pour prepared batter into your choice of dish(es).
- Microwave the cake for 4 minutes, and single-serve mugs or ramekins for 1 minute 20 seconds.
- Dust with cocoa or cacao powder and sprinkle with orange zest.
- Serve warm on its own or with a scoop of vanilla or caramel ice cream.