A bite-sized take on the Hawaiian combo, these Bacon Pineapple Bites are delish and easy to make. With tips on how to pick the juiciest, sweetest pineapple for this dish.
Perfect for entertaining, the classic combination of sweet juicy pineapple and wrapped in salty bacon (or prosciutto) will have your tastebuds dancing with joy.
Pineapples are a great source of vitamin C, magnesium, vitamin B6 and manganese. They are also packed with fibre and contain bromelain, which can assist in the digestion of protein and supports good colon health.
Serve with some tomato or smoky barbecue sauce for dipping.
How to choose the perfect pineapple for this dish
In Australia, there are two types of pineapples: top on and top off. The top off variety is lower in acid and generally sweeter and more golden in colour. That’s the one I prefer to use in this dish as it creates the perfect salty-sweet taste in each bite.
Tips for buying pineapples
- Look for fruit that’s free from bruises.
- The colour of the skin does not indicate ripeness. In fact, once in store, they are ready for eating so you don’t have to wait for them to ripen. Even when the skin looks green, they will be juicy and ripe inside.
- Look for fruit that’s heavy for its size.
Which bacon to use for the Bacon Pineapple Bites
Because you will be wrapping pineapple chunks in it, choose bacon strips (not short-cut bacon). The fat in the strips will also help the dish become more flavourful. Smoked bacon works really well here.
If you’d prefer a more fancy version of the bites, use prosciutto or Jamon Iberico. Or, alternatively, slices of chilli sopressa salami are also great if you like a bit of chilli kick.
RELATED POSTS: Teriyaki Chicken and Grilled Pineapple Salad OR Lemon Pineapple + Herb Roasted Chicken Legs OR Spicy Pork Tacos with Pineapple Salsa OR Caramelised Pineapple Gingerbread Crumble
Bacon Pineapple Bites
- 1 medium gold pineapple
- 24 long rashers rindless bacon (see note above)
- tomato sauce
- Preheat oven grill to medium-high.
- Using a sharp knife, peel the pineapple. Cut into quarters lengthways and remove the core. Dice into bite-sized chunks.
- Cut bacon rashers in half across. Place a pineapple chunk in the middle and wrap the bacon around the chunk, securing ends with a toothpick. (If using prosciutto or sopressa, you will need a slice per bite, do not cut in half.)
- Place pineapple bites on a cookie sheet lined with baking paper.
- Grill in the preheated oven for 5 minutes on each side.
- Serve warm with some tomato sauce on the side.