This Easy Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry is full of flavour and quick enough to make on a weeknight. Plus, I reveal my secret to the best cut of beef to use for stir-fries as well as the classic Chinese velveting method.
How to make Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry
For best results use a cut of meat that’s tender from the word go. This is because you will only be cooking the meat for a couple of minutes so you don’t want anything that’s tough unless you are going to velvet the meat to make it tender.
You can use broccoli for this recipe, but broccolini works wonders as well. If using broccoli, cut it into bite-sized florets. You can chop up the stem and add to the stir-fry as well, or save for this recipe. Feel free to add more sliced mushrooms that will help elevate the umami flavour of the dish, some snake or green beans, os snow peas as well.
As for the sauce, all the Chinese broccoli beef needs is a simple dousing with soy sauce. But, if you prefer more complex flavours use a teriyaki stir-fry sauce or follow the recipe below. Hoisin sauce can also be a delicious alternative that adds sweetness and depth of flavour.
Which beef cut to use?
Eye fillet. I’ve talked about why in this delicious recipe and it’s just as perfect for Chinese broccoli beef.
Yes, it may seem like a more expensive option, but a 500g (1lb) beef fillet goes a long way if you add more vegetables to your dish. And that you may, even though this is a take on the beef and broccoli stir-fry recipe at its simplest. Chinese broccoli, asparagus and snake beans are all fantastic in this recipe. For me, the more the merrier, actually.
If you prefer to use beef stir fry strips make sure you have 20 minutes spare to velvet the meat which will help tenderise it. They are more budget-friendly, so a more economical option. And just as delicious once done. Just make sure to give them the time.
The Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry is super simple and quick enough to make on a weeknight. For more Chinese-inspired dishes, why not try my Chicken in Black Pepper Sauce these Easy Sweet and Sour Pork Meatballs or this delicious Duck Yellow Curry recipe. YUM
Easy Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
For the sauce:
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup tamari or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon corn flour
For the Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry:
- 500 g beef fillet steaks
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 cm knob fresh ginger
- 1 Spanish onion
- 2 spring onions
- 200 g green beans
- 1 head head broccoli or 1 bunch broccolini
- 250 g sliced button mushrooms
- 3 tbsp peanut oil macadamia or olive oil
- 1 250 g packet microwave rice I used brown
TO MAKE THE SAUCE:
- Warm the honey in a measuring jug in a microwave for 20 seconds. Add tamari or soy sauce and corn starch. Mix well.
TO MAKE THE STIR FRY:
- Slice beef fillet thinly, spread on the cutting board and season well with freshly ground black pepper.
- Peel and mince garlic and ginger. Peel and finely dice Spanish onion. Chop spring onions finely. Top and tail beans and chop into bite-sized pieces. Cut broccoli or broccolini into florets, chop stems as well.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a wok or a fry pan until hot and fry beef slices in batches – only one layer should cover the pan at any time.
- The meat will only take about 10-20 seconds to brown on each side. Flip using tongs and brown the other side. Place the meat in a bowl, set aside and repeat with the remaining slices.
- Wipe down wok with some paper towel. Add 1 tablespoon oil and return to heat. Add garlic, ginger, onions, spring onions, beans and broccoli or broccolini. Stir fry until onion has separated and started to caramelise. Add mushrooms and stir fry for another couple of minutes.
- Return beef to the wok and add sauce mixture. Stir fry for a minute for the sauce to thicken and coat the meat and vegetables.
- Serve with steamed brown rice.
I love chines food and dishes your broccoli stir fry recipe looking so good and special when I read this beef fillet steaks is the main ingredient for this recipe and going to try my self in this weekend.