Creamy plant-based cashew ice blocks, flavoured with a tasty chai spice mix. One of my favourite ways to enjoy the milky fragrant concoction in a summery treat.
What is Chai Spice made from?
Chai is a milky black tea combined with warm and fragrant spices popular in India. These include cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, cloves, star anise – sometimes also including black pepper and nutmeg.
The word chai itself means “tea” in Hindi (derived from Chinese Cha for tea). Therefore Masala Chai is another name given to the above concoction. So in fact you cold say these are Creamy Cashew Masala Chai Ice Pops.
Make sure to soak your cashews
For the ice pops to become wonderfully creamy, make sure to soak your cashews for at least 2 hours. This will help them blend to a softer consistency but also make the treat wonderfully cooler.
Can I use other nuts to make these Creamy Chai Spice Ice Pops?
I prefer the delicate almost vanilla-like flavour of cashews here. You want the chai spices to really stand out so stick with cashews. Coconut will also come through too strong for this recipe because we are already using some coconut milk in there. I know… I know… but it’s CREAMY CASHEW for a reason.
More recipes on my Insta
📸 Food Photographer + Stylist. Author👩👧Mum.
Sharing recipes + kitchen tips + client work
✉️ DM for Collabs | 👇 More content via link
Creamy Cashew Masala Chai Ice pops
- 1.5 cups cashews soaked in filtered water for 2 hours
- 1 cup coconut milk (canned variety)
- 3 tablespoons honey or rice malt syrup
- 1/2 tablespoon chai mix for homemade see below
Chai Spice Mix
- 2 tablespoons ginger powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon finely ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon finely ground cloves
- 1/2 tablespoon finely ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground star anise
- Drain cashews. Place them in a blender.
- Place coconut milk, honey or rice syrup and chai spice mix in a small saucepan set over medium heat. Heat, whisking, until smooth, aromatic, do not boil. Remove from heat and set aside for 10 minutes to cool.
- Add the spiced coconut milk into the blender and process on medium high with the cashews until the mixture is smooth. Divide the mixture into ice pop moulds and freeze for at least 8 hours or overnight.