Vitenamese Salad Rolls - Bánh Mì
Butter or chicken liver pate can be used as a spread - as can be mayonnaise in a dairy-free version. Fried shallots are available from some supermarkets and most Asian grocers.
Prep Time10 mins
Total Time10 mins
For the Salad Roll
- 2 wholemeal baguette rolls
- 1 small carrot, julienned
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce or use ½ teaspoon salt for a vegetarian version
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 baby cos lettuce, shredded
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, sliced finely
- ½ red onion, sliced finely, optional
- 1 sprig spring onion, green parts only
- A few single stalks fresh coriander
- 1 red long chilli, sliced finely
For a chicken or pork version:
- 1 cup shredded chicken meat or leftover finely sliced roast pork
- butter for spreading
- chicken liver pate, optional
- 2 teaspoons tamari
- Sriracha sauce, optional
- 2 teapsoons fried shallots
Cut each roll open lengthways without splitting it in half.
Place julienned carrot in a small bowl, add fish sauce or salt and lime juice. Allow the mixture to pickle for a few minutes.
To make Banh Mis layer lettuce, cucumber slices, onion if using, pickled carrot, spring onion and coriander sprigs in each roll. Top with meats, if using.
Drizzle tamari and sriracha over the top, and sprinkle both rolls with fried shallots.