French Cinnamon Tea Cake with Fresh Cherries
The classic French cinnamon tea cake made a little more posh with vanilla bean paste and fresh cherries.
For the French Tea Cake:
- 65 g butter softened
- 1/4 cup unrefined sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour sifted
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup milk at room temperature
For the Cherry Topping:
- 250 g cherries cut in half and pitted
- 2 tbsp port or brandy
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
To make the Cake:
Using electric mixer, cream butter, sugar and vanilla bean paste until pale and creamy.
Add egg. Beat well.
Sift flour and cinnamon into a bowl.
Using a large metal spoon, fold cinnamon flour and milk alternately into butter mixture until just combined.
Spread mixture into the prepared pan. Smooth surface.
To add Cherry Topping:
Distribute pitted cheery halves around the top of the cake, pitted side up.
Drizzle with port or brandy.
Sprinkle with brown sugar.