Pizza Bianca - White Pizza Sauce and Topping Ideas
Spread pizza base with the sauce (it should be enough to cover 2 bases). Scatter with favourite toppings and bake until the toppings and bases are turning golden.
Servings: 4 servings
- 50 g butter
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1½ cups full cream milk
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic or 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Pinch salt
Additional flavouring ideas for the white sauce:
- 1/2 cup mashed cauliflower
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian herbs
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black truffle paste
Topping ideas for Pizza Bianca:
- Thinly sliced blanched potatoes, sea salt, rosemary
- Spicy salami or nduja, Spanish onion, mushrooms
- Ham, artichokes, mushrooms, olives
- Roasted chicken, capsicum, Spanish onion
- Smoked salmon, capers, Spanish onion, rocket (arugula)
- Cauliflower, cheese
- Pulled beef, onion, cheese
Place a small saucepan over medium heat. Add and melt butter. Add flour and whisk until fully incorporated. Cook for a minute.
Slowly add milk, whisking continuously until fully incorporated. Bring back to the simmer, whisking.
When the sauce has thickened, whisk in garlic powder (or other flavouring ideas). Remove from heat and whisk in the cheese.
Season with salt.
Spread sauce on pizza base (as you would tomato sauce) and top with favourite toppings.