No Bake Greek Yoghurt Cheesecake
If making a large cheesecake in a spring form tin I recommend adding the jelly layer. Other flavours and fruit can be used - berries and peaches are great. Prep time is 20 minutes plus 2-3 hours chilling. For a vegetarian version: try using agar agar powder to set the cheesecake and jelly made from water and juice, about 3/4 of the recommended dose should give you a softer finish. For single-serve portions: you can omit the jelly altogether if you wish. Use crushed pistachios for the base. Prep time is about 10 minutes, plus 20-30 minutes chilling time. For a less sugary version: you can leave the whipped yoghurt filling plain and mostly unsweetened.
Prep Time3 hrs
Total Time3 hrs
Servings: 1 -12
For the Crust:
- 50 g butter melted, plus extra for greasing
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- 1/2 cup mixed nuts blended to a semi-coarse meal
For the Yoghurt Filling:
- 1/2 cup boiling milk or water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons gelatin or 2 teaspoons agar powder
- 2 cups thick Greek-style yoghurt
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup Tropical jam or any other additive-free jam
- zest of 1 lime
For the Jelly Layer:
- 2 packets packet each of orange and mango jelly (jello) make only 2 cups worth of jelly out of the 3-cup packet
- 1 orange or blood orange peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes optional
For the Crust:
Line the base of a 24cm spring form tin with baking paper. Grease the sides with extra butter and stick strips of baking paper around the sides, overlapping multiple pieces by about an inch if too short.
Process almond meal with nuts and butter until fine crumbs form. Press the mixture into the base and chill in the fridge to set.
In the meantime, prepare the Filling:
Mix milk or water with gelatin powder until fully dissolved. Set aside to cool slightly.
Place yoghurt, cream cheese and jam in a bowl of a mixer and "whip" on medium high speed until the cream cheese is incorporated and the mixture light and fluffy.
Add cooled gelatin and continue to beat on high for a couple of minutes.
Pour the filling into the prepared tin. Leave in the fridge for about an hour to set.
To prepare the Jelly Layer: