Wholemeal coconut and choc chip cookies

Pin on Pinterest Share on Facebook0 Tweet about this on Twitter0 Google+ Email to someone

I don’t bake cookies very often, but these little mounds of deliciousness go against everything you’ve ever known about cookies, especially those additive-laden store-bought ones. Chocolate is my only weakness, but I try to buy the good stuff, even when it comes to chocolate chips used for baking – you won’t find the cheaper compound stuff at this house.

Looking for a quick mix and bake cookie recipe that had chocolate and coconut written all over it and one that I could adapt for less sugar and include wholemeal flour instead of plain, I stumbled upon the just the right cookie recipe at the WishfulChef which needed no changing. Well, I did change it a little since I had no coconut oil but most of the work was done for me.

The result was a soft cookie with all the goodness of whole ingredients and a little chocolate indulgence. And they went quick.

Makes 12-16 cookies

Wholemeal coconut and choc chip cookies

Try to use real chocolate chips rather than compund chocolate for better quality and taste. Store in an air-tight container for upto a week.

{Printable recipe}

Wet ingredients:

• 1/4 cup macadamia oil // or peanut oil
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

Dry ingredients:

• 3/4 cup dessicated coconut
  • 1/2 cup wholemeal flour
  • 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips // or melts, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon LSA (ground linseed, sunflower, almond mix)
  • a pinch each of sea salt

Preheat oven to 170C (190C fan forced, 375F, gas mark 5).

To prepare the cookie dough: in a large bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients until blended together. Add dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon.

To bake: drop spoonfuls of cookie dough on a baking paper-lined cookie tray. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until cookies are just starting to turn golden. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.

Comments:

24 Responses to Wholemeal coconut and choc chip cookies

1. Maureen says:

These cookies look fantastic. I love coconut and I love chocolate and frankly if it’s got oatmeal in it, it’s healthy, right?

2. Macadamia oil? Sounds wonderful. These cookies look great too.

3. Yummo! They almost look like macaroons. Sooo delish!

4. YUM! I’m sure they did go quickly!
    Heidi xo

5. Sheryl says:

Oh my! These look absolutely fantastic! I would like to have one right now 🙂

6. Lovely, so lovely, I wish I had a few of these for my bedtime snack:) I’ve never heard of macademia oil, but I shall have to see if it’s in my shops! They wouldn’t last long at my house, that’s for certain! xo Smidge

7. This recipe looks nice and simple. Never tried wholemeal coconut cookies – will add this on my list of things to try

Can I have some of those! It looks so tempting

9. I love that you use macadamia oil in these cookies. Australia grows decent macadamias so we can easily get macadamia oil here and it’s such a fantastic substitute to butter.

I love that these kind of look like a mix of a traditional cookie and macaroon! And I am quite the coconut chocolate fan, so I know they wouldn’t last long at my house.

11. Steph says:

Made these last night as a healthy morning and afternoon tea alternative and may I say, I had 2 for breakfast! That may be a problem. Great recipe.

12. With coconut and choco chip in these cookies, I’m already in love. Your photos are too delicious to pass this dessert. I’m saving this recipe for one day.

13. Macadamia oil or peanut oil? Wow totally intrigued and wanting to try these.

14. I love this cookie, it’s simple whole ingredients! Can’t wait to try this I have all the ingredients on hand!

15. What I like about this recipe, even thought they are cookies, they sound healthy. Therefore I should not feel guilty eating one or two……. or three or four 😉

16. Sissi says:

I make coconut cookies quite often (actually I’m making some today), but these look very original. I wonder how the macadamia oil tastes…

17. I came running over here when I discovered you had chocolate on display :). Besides enjoying this blog immensely, I just love this coconut and chocolate chip cookie recipe. This just looks sinfully good.

18. I just wanted to let you know that I made these cookies and they were absolutely delicious….I even posted about them here

Thanks for the great recipe!

19. Dee says:

Just made these with Mr 4 yr old. We substituted macadamia oil with rice bran oil. The cookies got the thumbs up all round in our family. Not sure that one batch is enough…. 🙂

1. Pingback: Dark chocolate truffles: orange zest, waffle cone and coconut ganache filled « Wholesome Cook