5+ Things to Make with Sauerkraut Other Than a Reuben

Pin on Pinterest851 Share on Facebook324 Tweet about this on Twitter23 Google+ Email to someone

Here are 5 6 sauerkraut recipes (plus a couple of extras) which are just as unique and delicious, as the Reuben, solving the dilemma of what to do with sauerkraut forever. Enjoy, because sauerkraut and most other fermented vegetables are really good for you.

Ah, the famed New York Reuben… what would it be without a generous helping of sauerkraut? Just another layered sourdough sandwich filled with thin slices of corned beef and Swiss cheese, nothing to write home about. It’s probably safe to say then, that with the ingenious addition of pickled cabbage to the sandwich, it is one dish which has singlehandedly helped lift kraut to international stardom. Here is a great recipe if you’d like to try making one at home.

For best flavour and texture, sauerkraut should only ever be salted and must remain “al dente”. Also, the longer the cabbage is brined and the more ingredients are added the softer it will get.

But did you know there are at least 5 other sauerkraut recipes which are just as unique and delicious, if in fact, not better?

1. Sauerkraut Kiwi Smash (Smoothie)

This is probably the most novel way to use pickled cabbage. Stop cringing and listen up. Mixed into a kiwi smoothie, sauerkraut provides a delicious, tangy and easy way to convince non-sauerkraut fans to have some of the probiotic goodness raw. In fact, when I first served it to my husband he didn’t even flinch… and he is still none the wiser.

Recipe: in a high-powered blender, blend together for 30-60 seconds: ⅓ cup loosely packed sauerkraut, ½ cup tightly packed iceberg lettuce, ½ cup loosely packed kale leaves, 1 kiwifruit, peeled, ¼ orange, peeled, 1 teaspoon macadamia oil, 1½ cups chilled filtered water and ½ cup ice cubes. Serves 1-2.

The recipe comes from my new eBook, 40+ Quick and Healthy Smoothies. The eBook is packed with nutrient-dense smoothies with dairy-free, gluten-free, nut-free and added sugar-free options. No soy, wheat or eggs. Loads of ingredient spotlights, tips for prepping, storing and making your smoothies even more helathy and delish. You can  download the Smoothie eBook here for $15 (or subscribe and pay only $10.50 plus save 30% off all my other eBooks).

Sauerkraut Kiwi Smoothie Recipe

2. Sauerkraut Slaw

Served alongside a good schnitzel or pan-fried fish, the sauerkraut slaw requires only 5 simple ingredients. It’s light on the calories but never on taste.

Recipe: mix together 500g crunchy sauerkraut, 1 small grated carrot, 2 tbsp light olive oil, 1 tsp sugar (or granulated stevia if you prefer), ground pepper. And voila, sauerslaw is ready! Serves 4. You can also make it into this veggie-packed Super Slaw with a whole lotta more good for you ingredients!

3. Sauerkraut Soup // Kapuśniak

Another one of my childhood favorites, the sauerkraut potato and bacon soup. Sounds pretty good already, doesn’t it?? And it’s simple to prepare too.

Recipe: cook 2 large peeled potatoes separately as the acid in the kraut may prevent them from going soft if cooked together. Then add them to the soup made up of 500g sauerkraut, 2 cups water, 2 bay leaves, 3 all spice seeds and 100g diced bacon, simmer together for 30 minutes. Serves 4.

4. Sauerkraut Hunter’s Stew // Bigos

Back in the day, Bigos was cooked to help use up leftovers from hunting and household scraps. Today it is a much more formal dish, with quality smoked goods, red wine and lemon rind added for flavour – ingredients once perceived as luxuries. In whatever incarnation, it is on of Poland’s most liked and famous national dishes.

Recipe: Sauerkraut Hunter’s Stew // Bigos

5. Sauerkraut Dumplings

Lightly stir-fried sauerkraut, mixed with aromatic porcini mushrooms, or any other actually, wrapped in thin pastry parcel. The dough is a breeze to make, but you can also use store-bought gow gee wrappers. They are best enjoyed boiled then fried. What’s not to like?

Recipe: Sauerkraut and Porcini Dumplings

6. Sauerkraut Pancakes

Mixed into a savoury batter, the pancakes are great on their own but work just as well as a side to hearty goulash, creamy mushroom sauce or roasted pork with gravy.

Recipe: Mix together 250g sauerkraut, 1 cup milk, 1 cup plain flour, 1 egg and some smoked hot paprika. Spoon mixture into a lightly oiled fry pan and cook on both sides, until golden brown. Makes about 12 pancakes.

Other tasty and easy uses for Sauerkraut

Nori Rolls: One of my favourite ways of enjoying fermented cabbage, aside of course from eating it straight out of the jar, is in Rice-free Nori Rolls. Sauerkraut lends a similar tang of flavour as pickled ginger would to regular sushi.

Meatballs: You can also add 1 cup of sauerkraut to about 500g meatball mince.

Burgers: this is obvious if you like the Reuben, but sauerkraut goes really well on burgers. Or try adding some kraut to the patties themselves.

For more sauerkraut resources and information on its healing properties visit Kraut Look

Comments:

45 Responses to 5+ Things to Make with Sauerkraut Other Than a Reuben

1. Tammi says:

Mmmm love sauerkraut. Prefer Rotkol, though.

2. These look great. Love sauerkraut and never thought of any of these. Thx. Happy Australia Day – probably over by now!

3. Chanel says:

I love sauerkraut, so it’s great to see these ideas for it! I’m guilty of eating it straight out of the jar with a fork, but I’d like to try making my own now :D

4. Gaby says:

I always eat plain sauerkraut as a side, thanks for sharing these ideas to add it as an ingredient.

5. Lovely… so many recipes in one post! I just had Bigos last fall and it was so fragrant, I’m excited to try your recipe since I was unable to locate one online! xo Smidge

I do not think I’ve had sauerkraut since I was a kid! I need to give it a try again for sure.

7. I am loving all of these ideas but would love that stew….it looks delicious!

8. Creative. And I haven’t even tried a Reuben yet.

9. Maureen says:

Aren’t you clever. Sauerkraut is for Reubens in our house. Until today and all those ideas :)

10. Fantastic collection of sauerkraut recipes for a kraut lover like myself.

11. Clare Cooks! says:

I love sauerkraut! The soup and the dumplings look delicious.

12. Wow, I haven’t seen sauerkraut since my parents were alive! Nice one.

13. Some great inspiration there!!! I didn’t know sauerkraut could be so versatile!

14. Nothing like some sauerkraut. I just eat it plain and it’s still good:)
    I tried making some but it did not work too well. The kraut expanded too much in the jar and I had to open the lid to release the pressure and kraut-ey juice came out and woah, it smelt so bad! I buy home made sauerkraut from a Polish shop- much better than mine!

15. Actually I never really liked sauerkraut as a kid as it was cooked up plain or on a rueben sandwich. Boring….However, with all of these interesting ideas you might have changed my mind.

I love that saurkraut hunter stew, I see my self enjoying a bowl of those.

17. beti says:

everything looks extremely good but I think that the stew wins, great ideas!

18. Dear Martyna,

I never liked sauerkraut when I was a kid but I love it know and never quite understand what there was to dislike because it’s also similar to pickled vegetables like Korean kimchi, Chinese ham choy or Japanese pickled vegetables! Thanks for sharing all these beautiful recipes!!

19. Sissi says:

Excellent ideas for me beloved sauerkraut! The pancakes look delicious. Among the dishes I know bigos is my favourite and the dumplings of course!
    I would never think of the sauerkraut salad as a slaw, but you are totally right to call it this way. (By the way, I must check what Reuben is ;-) )
    I would add the Hungarian “Székely Gulyas” to this list. An excellent dish I have recently discovered.

20. Sissi says:

Sorry for the typo, I meant “MY beloved” of course ;-)

21. Such great ideas! I especially love the idea of sauerkraut pancakes. That would be a cool Super Bowl additions, as it sounds like it’d go perfectly with a beer! :)

22. I actually LOVE Sauerkraut but never know what to do with it other than hot dogs or reubens. Love all these different variations I can try.. especially the dumplings.. delish!

23. OMG I’m all for Sauerkraut dumplings! What a fantastic idea! Well pancakes look good too, but I need to check out the dumplings first. This post was pretty interesting. Never expected this many delicious recipes using sauerkraut!

24. I love sauerkraut, and I think your dumpling idea is great!

25. Funny, I have never thought of using it as an ingredient. Love the stuff! The dumpling idea is a great one.

26. Audra says:

When my great-grandma makes the slaw, she uses honey instead of sugar, and lemon juice instead of half the oil. You also have to be sure you’re using sauerkraut without wine, and that you rinse it to get rid of the excess brine before adding the carrot.

27. Mary C. says:

Thank you for these awesome ideas! I am going to try the pancakes tonight — cannot wait to try them.

28. Priscilla says:

My mother always fried up smoke sausage drained the grease except for a few tablespoons and then added the sauerkraut to the pan and fried all together till kraut turn a light brown from sucking up the grease and no liquid was left from the kraut.

29. Margaret says:

i’m looking for a recipe for sauerkraut combined with sour creme and green apples. anyone heard of
    this mixture?

30. Hawk says:

Please make your site faster…. terrible

31. Does sauerkraut go with grilled lamb chops? Has anyone tried this as an alternative meat?

32. you sharing just 5 ideas all are delicious but i must say your all blog posting and dressing and food all work are awesome..Sounds really good.

33. Nancy Norris says:

I tried the pancakes and found them to be too wet. I should has drained the kraut well.

34. Ross says:

Looking forward to trying these, it’s funny how a bowl or jar of sauerkraut in the fridge never seems to decrease no matter how many times you take a little out. Not convinces on the smoothy but that is more reason to try it.

35. I’m not at all sure about that smoothie!! But the other ideas look fabulous. Must try making my own as I never have.

36. Paul says:

That kiwi smash has me intrigued. I might just have to give it a shot!
    Paul recently posted..Ajitoya: ReviewMy Profile

• Kay says:

My krout recipe and pork chops in a small pressure cooker. Layer home made krout with pork chops, seasoning salt, and Tony Chachere’s seasoning. Relayer with krout on top and pork chops, and seasoning. Top with Krout. Pressure on 10 lbs for 20 minutes. Let pressure go down! Great with white navy beans, corn bread, and fried potatoes!

1. Pingback: 10 Famous Marathoners | The Body N' Sole Blog

2. Pingback: Cabbage and Fennel Slaw with a Mustard Avocado Dressing | Wholesome Cook

3. Pingback: 2014 Winter CSA Share #7, March 5th | Your CSA