Garlic, chilli and tomato mussels

Pin on Pinterest95 Share on Facebook0 Tweet about this on Twitter0 Google+ Email to someone

A classic in their own right, garlic and chilli mussels are one of my ultimate comfort foods for all seasons. They are light and delightful in Summer, soulful when the days get shorter and nice chillingly cold. For me, sharing a bowl of hot mussels with a friend is more therapeutic than the conversation itself. There’s something special about this dish that just warms the heart.

Now in some exciting news… this particular recipe comes from a range of recipes I been asked to develop for Anathoth, a New Zealand based brand which aside from out-of-this-world natural jams (yes, ingredients are simply just fruit and sugar) also produces delicious natural pickles and relishes, which have recently been launched on the Australian market. I am thrilled to have a company of Anathoth’s calibre as a client, because we share similar beliefs about food and our approach to nutrition is a no-nonsense one. Oh, and I’ve created a new client site if you’d like to find out more about my professional recipe development and testing services.

The mussels were divine. With added flavour and veg from Anathoth‘s Tomato Relish. Together they worked a real treat! I hope you enjoy the recipe!

Serves 4

Garlic, chilli and tomato mussels

The recipe uses already cleaned Boston Bay mussels but you can use New Zealand green lip mussels instead. If you can’t find Sambal paste, use 1-2 finely chopped red long chillies, with seeds.

For the mussels:

• 1kg Boston Bay mussels (cleaned, de-bearded)
  • 3/4 cup Anathoth‘s Tomato Relish
  • 1/4 cup apple cider // or white wine
  • 2-3 tbsp Sambal chilli paste
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 tbsp oil

• 4 crusty sourdough bread rolls

To prepare the mussels: place mussels in a colander and rinse under cold running water for 2 minutes, removing any shell bits and impurities. Shake off excess water.

To cook the mussels: heat oil in large a heavy-based pan or wok until hot. Add garlic and mussels. Stir fry for 1 minute. Add cider, Tomato Relish and chilli paste. Stir for another minute, then cover and cook on high heat for a further 3-4 minutes, or until most mussels have opened up.

To serve: transfer mussels and sauce into serving bowls and serve with crusty sourdough bread rolls.

Comments:

21 Responses to Garlic, chilli and tomato mussels

1. Barbara says:

I have just eaten half a baguette with Anathoth apricot jam. Love their products. Great recipe. I much prefer the smaller Australian mussels. I find the NZ one too big.

2. You blog is lovely! I’m dreaming of having a TEFAL Fresh Express, I’ll definitely be back on Friday!!!!

3. Nami | Just One Cookbook says:

Although I’m not a big mussels fan myself I somehow get attracted to this kind of food. I usually eat 2-3 mussels and that’s it, but I enjoy dipping bread in the sauce and that’ what I’m looking forward to. I let my husband eat the most and I’ll enjoy the leftover flavor. :-)

Anything with mussels is so good, I just love their flavours!

5. Mussels truly are one of natures gifts and I just can’t understand how someone can’t love them. The flavour is glorious, especially when complemented with the ingredients you’ve used here. Great recipe!

6. Such a tasty dish…this looks great. A bowl of these would put a smile on anyone’s face!

7. Brilliant and simple. Looks fantastic.

8. cjdelgrosso says:

Love mussels, any dish made with mussels is a winner for me! Great post!! Stop by http://www.delgrossofoodblog.com and I’ll share some great recipes with you!

9. I love mussels the only one in my family that does. You recipe is lovely with the addition of chilies. Also a big congrats on the startup of your new company. Best wishes on your new endeavor. Take care, BAM

10. Smallfry says:

Anathoth apricot jam is one of my favourite products, didn’t realise they did relishes as well, just looked at their blog, they almost dedicate their site to you !!

• I know, it’s very kind of them to have done so. As far as the relishes go, they can be found where sauces and relishes normally are at most supermarkets. Currently there are 3 available in Australia. Can’t wait for the beetroot relish to make its way to our shores.

Oh, that looks so good. I LOVE mussels – and usually just have them in a white wine sauce. I love this idea, though!

12. These look heavenly! Do you just shop at whole foods, or your local grocery?

• That depends, most fresh fruit and veg I get from the green grocer’s or markets. Meat I buy from the big chains or butcher’s but choose organic or free range. If buying pre-packaged food I read labels and make sure they are no or low additive – that’s how I first found Anathoth! Seafood is mostly from the fish markets…

13. muppy says:

Thats super exciting, and this looks incredible moreish.

14. Miss Piggy says:

Congrats on the food developing recipe thingy gig…awesome news! You must be thrilled to be taking things to a more professional level with your amazing cooking.

15. Yum! Mussels are one of those foods that are best when simply prepared.

1. Pingback: Spaghetti and Mussels with tomatoes and Basil « LauraLovingLife