How many meatball recipes have you seen that don’t require egg? These juicy pork meatballs are eggless and come with a gluten and dairy free option too!
I haven’t looked too hard myself, but from what I know most of the meatball recipes out there do call for eggs, so I thought: why not make those allergic to eggs happy! And I’d make one up.
Generally speaking, egg is used as a binder for mince – otherwise your meatballs, meatloaf and rissoles may fall apart when cooked. Silken tofu can be used as a substitute, but not everyone is into trying things like that so what are the options?
Well, here is one: skip the eggs altogether and use a mixture of bread and milk instead. Unless you are Jewish, in which case you can’t or you could using non-dairy milk. Which is also true for those allergic to dairy. So by way of deduction, I have just realised that the following recipe is dairy and egg free. And if you use gluten free bread it will be gluten-free as well! And your meatballs will be suuuuuper juicy, guaranteed.
One word of advice though, since these will be much more fragile than their egg-bound cousins, be very gentle when cooking them. High heat will be your best friend. It will help seal them and prevent them from breaking when tossed in the soup later. Other than that we should be set.
Even for someone who doesn’t like thin rice vermicelli too much, Mr Chipconnoisseur left me most favourable review of the dish and the kids, perhaps encouraged a little by, quote: meatbaaaaaaalllls! unquote, left their bowls clean as well.
Eggless Pork Meatballs in Rice Noodle Soup
For the Eggless Pork Meatballs:
- 500 g pork mince
- 1 slice bread
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 sprig of coriander chopped finely
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 4 tbsp sesame oil for frying
For the Rice Noodle Soup:
- 2 bunches of dry rice vermicelli noodles
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 2 tbsp crushed peanuts
- coriander leaves
- extra chilli flakes
To make the Eggless Pork Meatballs:
- Shred bread and placein a large bowl with milk, allow to soften then mash up with fingers.
- Add pork mince, chopped coriander, dried ginger and chilli flakes and mix well. The meat mixture should become a little sticky.
- Form 20 small meatballs, about a heaped teaspoon per meatball.
- Heat oil in a medium pan over high heat. Add meatballs, in batches of about 7 and cook on medium high heat for about a minute per batch until browned on each side, turning gently!
- Transfer to a clean bowl and repeat with the rest.
To make the Rice Noodle Soup:
- Place stock, tamari, brown sugar and powdered ginger into a large stock pot.
- Add meatballs and bring to a gentle boil.
- Throw in dried rice noodles and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until noodles are soft.
- Divide soup, noodles and meatballs between your serving bowls.
- Sprinkle over with crushed peanuts (and chilli flakes), garhish with coriander leaves.