Meatless Monday: Mushroom Crepe Croquettes
Mushroom Crepe Croquettes are traditionally served as a side to beetroot soup, but are just tasty on their own.
Here’s another recipe from my family’s recipe treasure chest; this time it’s my Godmother’s and a savoury treat I most looked forward to eating when visiting her: Mushroom Crepe Croquettes. She has 5 sons so you had to be quick… One time she went to serve cheesecake she’d baked the night before only to find out the boys ate it for first breakfast.
The premise is simple: fry off some mushrooms and onion, wrap them up in some thin French-style crepes, roll in some bread crumbs and fry again until golden and crisp. There’s a lot of frying you might be thinking, but if you have a good non-stick fry-pan you can cut the amount of frying fat from about 8 teaspoons to as little as 3.
- ½ cup milk
- ⅛ cup cold water
- 1 egg
- 3/8 cup plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 medium brown onion, finely diced
- 500g Swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ⅛ cup freshly chopped parsley OR coriander
- 1 tsp olive oil or butter, for frying
- For the croquettes:
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp olive oil or butter, for frying
- Whisk together milk, water, egg and flour. Add a pinch of salt and mix. Set aside – in the meantime make the mushroom stuffing.
- Heat oil or butter in a large fry-pan over medium heat. Add diced onion and cook until translucent.
- Add mushrooms and stir-fry for about 5 minutes or until browned and wilted. Add black pepper, salt and paprika. Mix through.
- Turn off the heat and add freshly chopped parsley or coriander. Set aside.
- Place a 20cm non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Pour about ⅛ cup of the batter into the centre of the pan and swirl around to cover the base in a thin even layer. Cook for a minute or until the pastry begins to set on top. Using a spatula, flip and cook on the other side for half a minute or so.
- Transfer onto a large plate and repeat with the remaining batter.
- Divide mushroom mixture into 6 even piles.
- Place each pile in the middle of the crepe. Fold the sides and roll up – like you would a spring roll. Set aside and repeat with the remaining crepes. Roll crepes in breadcrumbs, pressing down gently to help the crumbs stick to the pastry.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of fat in a medium pan over medium heat. Fry crepe croquettes for about 2 minutes on each side or until crisp and golden. Serve warm.