An old-fashioned Blueberry and Lemon Curd Slice that can be ready to bake in 15 minutes. Inspired by Delicious magazine.
How many times have you bought a magazine and cooked from it cover-to-cover? Once or twice maybe, but most likely never? Don’t worry, you’re not alone. In fact, I might be the worst offender of all. I always flick through for seasonal inspiration, but hardly ever follow the recipes to a tee, until recently that is. Well, sort of.
When the little girl received an invitation to an afternoon tea farewell last week, I got excited! Only because big events like this give me the perfect excuse to bake to my heart’s desire and try out those recipes that serve 8 or more. I’ve recently taken to bookmarking recipes I’d like to try or have been inspired by, saving them from falling into my magazine shelf’s oblivion, never to be found again. After bookmarking, I tear out the pages and file them away in a big lever arch folder for future use.
How do you keep track of recipes you’ve found in books and magazines that you liked?
- 100g butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup Greek yoghurt
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup lemon curd
- ¾ cup blueberries
- To serve:
- 2 tbsp icing (confectioners) sugar
- Chop butter with a knife, add sugar and work together with with fingers (wear latex gloves if you like) until the sugar is mixed into the butter.
- Add the egg, yoghurt and vanilla essence then continue to mix until the mixture becomes smooth.
- Add half the flour and baking baking powder and mix to combine.
- Add the rest of the flour and bring the whole dough together into a ball with your hands.
- Roll out ¾ of the dough in between 2 sheets of baking paper to about 5mm (1/4 inch) thick.
- Place pastry in the paper-lined tray and spread to the edges.
- Prick the base of the pastry around with a fork, spread lemon curd evenly over the pastry and sprinkle with blueberries.
- Dot the slice with chunks of leftover pastry.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the pastry is nice and golden brown. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Cut into squares and dust with icing sugar before serving.