Poached Barramundi with Greens PLUS 5 Other Healthy Fish Recipes
This simple 15 Minute Poached Barramundi recipe is a tasty and nutritious idea for a weeknight meal. Served with greens, steamed over the poaching fish, it almost makes for a one pot meal too. Low fat, gluten-free and dairy free. Oh, and fishy-smell-free!
I love fish, but the other members of the family like their fish smell-free. And to be honest, if there is one thing I am not a big fan of is, in fact, the smell of fish that tends to hang around the house for hours after grilling or frying. Although I have managed to make smell-free fried fish before…
This time, to make our dinner a little more odour-free I had decided to poach it. I love Asian inspired food, the simplicity of the cooking methods and flavours are fabulous. I especially adore the aromas of a masterstock – it’s sweet, salty, spicy and aromatic. Even though this is more of an instant version, it is still very satisfying. To add a little sweetness and complexity of flavours without using too much sugar I used The Stock Merchant‘s additive-free Sustainable Crab Stock, winner of the From The Sea Artisan award at the 2012 Delicious Produce Awards! It worked a treat.
The whole dish came together in 15 minutes. When I served it Mr Chipconnoisseur thought the 150g fillet was a little big but, to my surprise, he almost ended up licking his plate clean. As did I, while a bunch of my Instagram followers salivated over the dish there. I promised to post the recipe, so here it is.
PLUS here are 5 of my Favourite Healthy Fish Recipes:
- Cantonese Steamed Fish by Nami from Just One Cookbook
- David Skoko’s Seared Tuna by John from He Needs Food
- Crispy Salmon Rice Paper Rolls PLUS Some Salmon Facts by me
- Fish Sarciado by Raymund from Ang Sarap
- Fish and Fennel Pie by Amanda from Chewtown
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup Stock Merchant’s Sustainable Crab Stock OR gluten-free vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp Tamari
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 4 broccolini stems
- 8 snow peas, trimmed
- a handful of green beans, trimmed
- 2 (150g / 5oz) Barramundi fillets, skin off – try to find a thicker cut, not tail cut
- a few coriander leaves
- (optional: chilli flakes)
- Place all Masterstock ingredients in a saucepan large enough to hold your fish fillets inside and steamer basket on top of it later. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Slice beans and snow peas in half then again in half lengthways. Trim broccolini stems by about ½ an inch. Cut in half across.
- Once the stock has come up to the boil, reduce heat to a simmer and gently place barramundi fillets in the stock.
- Place greens in a steamer basket and place on top of the pan. Cover with a lid and allow both to cook for about 8 minutes.
- Divide steamed greens between serving bowls. Gently lift the fish out of the stock and place on top of the greens – the fish will be very tender, you might need a long spatula to do this.
- Pour stock over the dish and dress with some coriander leaves. (Spirnkle with chilli, if using). Serve warm.