This One Pot Satay Chicken dish is the perfect candidate for a mid-week dinner because all the ingredients are cooked at the same time in one pot in the oven. A classic takeaway favourite made that much easier and healthied up with some greens too!
I have to say, I’m quite impartial to a good satay chicken. And even though Matt doesn’t like peanut butter itself, he is a big fan of this satay sauce. It may be because it’s wonderfully sweet and rich from the copious amount of coconut milk, or perhaps because I like to add the element of crunch by using crunchy peanut butter instead of the smooth. It makes for a tastier and more rustic looking dish.
Speaking of which – this one is super easy and takes little actual time slaving over the stove. Whenever I’m busy juggling all sorts of work , I go for hands-free cooking dishes like this one. It makes good sense.
The sauce itself can be cooked up in a pan and kept in the fridge for later use, or for dipping. While I used chicken in this dish, you could keep the sauce in the fridge for a few weeks and add it to your favourite vegetarian or beef and veg stir fry, noodles or even meat pies! Imagine how beautiful they would look and smell fresh out of the oven…
One Pot Satay Chicken
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 2 bunches broccolini (or grean beans yellow squash, carrot chunks or mixture of all)
- 400 ml (1 can) coconut milk
- ½ cup natural crunchy peanut butter
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- Pinch cumin powder
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce and tamari
- 4 organic free-range chicken drumsticks
- Pre-heat oven to 180C (160C fan-forced, 350F, gas mark 4).
- Spread uncooked rice over the base of a small roasting dish. Arrange vegetables over the top of the rice.
- Combine coconut milk, peanut butter, spices and soy (or tamari) in a jug and mix well.
- Place chicken drumsticks over rice and pour over the sauce. Cover the dish snugly with aluminum foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove foil and turn the oven setting to grill. Grill for a further 5 minutes. Serve immediately.