Green Papaya Salad with Chilli Dressing |Plus 9 Other Salads To Inspire You
My most recent obsession in the world of salads, and I go through phases, is this crunchy and tangy Green Papaya Salad. Made with a sugar-free chilli dressing, it is a great side to grilled fish or meat or a light meal in itself.
If I was to count on one hand how many salads I eat each week, I’d run out of fingers by Wednesday. Perhaps, Thursday at the very latest. My salad shanannigans are well-documented on Instagram. So much so, in fact, that I was recently told I could publish a Fridge Surprise Salad eBook without much effort because all of the recipes were already there! How is that for an idea!
Ok, so I haven’t committed to the idea, but you can follow me there to get the scoop on the latest.
They say you can’t make friends with a salad, but I disagree. I was at a Korean grocer’s in Eastwood earlier this week, looking for spices when I made friends with a lady who had packed her basketful of green papayas. I asked what she was planning to make and she said salad. We connected instantly. It was her who prompted me to make it. Simple, isn’t it?
And so, I came home with a handful of green papayas and made salad.
Since we’ve been having the coldest of days yet this winter, I added some heat with a hot chilli dressing. I enjoyed my bowl of deliciousness in the games room – the warmest part of the house while taking a few minutes to stretch in the sun. Perfection.
Why You Should Love Salads
Salads are a great and tasty way to get your greens and veg intake out of the deficit. I even love to have salad for breakfast!
I adore the ease with which they can be tossed together. Almost carelessly.
The variety of ingredients that can be used is another deciding factor for me – with a tossed salad, anything goes. Leftovers, roasted or fresh veg, canned fish with mackerel being my current fave and boiled or fried eggs. Nuts and seeds for topping and voila! A pretty, tasty and healthy lunch is ready!
9 Salads To Inspire You
Here are a few other salad ideas to get you started.
Superslaw with Sauerkraut | Shaved Fennel and Cabbage Slaw with Avo Mustard Dressing | Grated Salad with Eggs | Watermelon and Cucumber Salad with Tahini Dressing | Warm Puy Lentil and Cavolo Nero Salad | Charred Broccoli Mexican Salad | Cumin-spiced Carrot and Chickpea Salad | The 1-2-3 Salad | Paleo Nori Seaweed Salad Wraps
- ½ green papaya
- ½ small carrot
- 1 radish, optional
- 2 cups (50g) mixed lettuce leaves
- 2-3 cherry tomatoes
- ⅛ cup raw cashews, or seeds if allergic to nuts
- 1 red long chilli
- ⅛ cup water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey or rice syrup
- ½ tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Lemon wedge
- Wash and peel green papaya. Using a julienne peeler or julienne mandolin, shave papaya and carrot into long thin threads. Finely slice the radish. Toss julienned papaya, carrots and radish in a bowl with lettuce leaves to mix. Divide between two serving bowls. Cut cherry tomatoes into quarters and divide between bowls. Top with cashews (or seeds).
- Finely chop chilli, removing all or most of the seeds depending on how hot you like the dressing to be. Place in a small jar with remaining ingredients and shake to combine.
- Serve salad with dressing drizzled on top and a lemon wedge.