Jamaican Jerk Chicken is a classic in its own right, and now it’s even easier to recreate the authentic flavour with a 100% natural, gluten-free and preservative-free spice blend from Herbie’s Spices. The spice blend is just as fantastic with fish, roasted vegetables, in meatballs and pasta sauces. Even on those grilled cheese toasties!
I’m not entirely sure where my infatuation with all things spice came from, but it’s one that I cannot really complain about. Spices have an inherent ability to bring even the most bland dishes to life. I adore a hint of red curry paste in my Spaghetti Bolognese, and often add a pinch of cinnamon to smoothies, granola and yoghurt.
I also like more than just a hint of heat. On a scale of zero to hiccup-inducing Sichuan at 10, I am probably somewhere around the eight-and-a-half mark. This is why I absolutely adore things like Thai curry pastes, laksa and now, after trying Herbie’s authentic Jamaican Jerk and Curry Spices, I am totally head over heels in love with the perfectly balanced blend of flavour and chilli heat.
As for the chicken wings, they are perfect spiced with just the authentic Jamaican Jerk spice blend, but if you’re feeling a little indulgent a spoonful of the wonderful Ginger BBQ Sauce will really make them sing. I had trouble stopping at a single serving of these.
Not to mention that the jerk pork meatloaf I made using the spice mix disappeared quicker than I could instagram a photo. As did the roasted Jerk pumpkin salad.
Authentic Jamaican Jerk Chicken Wings
- 6 chicken wings
- 2 tablespoons Jamaican Jerk seasoning
- 1 bunch broccolini
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red long chilli sliced finely
- Fresh coriander leaves
- Jamaican BBQ sauce optional
- lime wedges optional
- Place chicken wings in one layer in a ceramic bowl. Sprinkle with the Jerk seasoning and rub well into the skin. If time allows, cover with cling film and refrigerate for 12 hours. Otherwise, set aside while you prepare the broccolini.
- Pre-heat oven to 190C (170C fan-forced, 375F, gas mark 5).
- Steam or cook whole broccolini stems for 2-3 minutes over / in a pot of boiling water. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Rub each wing with a little olive oil and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Sprinkle with sliced chilli and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 30 minutes. Add broccolini to the baking tray then return wings to the oven for a further 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle fresh coriander leaves over the hot wings. Serve with Jamaican BBQ sauce and lime wedges, if you so wish.